BDS Suspension's Project KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point the guys down in the BDS R&D shop are making progress on the Liberty. Cage is in and they've been going through finish welded all the seams. 1-3/4" x .120 wall DOM tubing was used to secure the passenger compartment and extends forward into the engine bay to reinforce the frontend integrity now that the unibody and IFS subframe have been scrapped. Front and rear coil-over mounts are being built in as we'll as we await the arrival of our new 14" Fox 2.5 remote C/O and Fox 2.0 bumps any day now. Our PSC JK steering box is mounted to the front "framerail" after taking the time to sleeve and plate the unibody. The OE steering shaft linkage bolted right up and won't require much further modification. We'll have more on this in our next post/video update.

Our wheels made it in from B.A.D. Wheels. They are a 17x10 with 3.5" backspacing to get our desired stance and allow a bit more room for the suspension/steering components. They feature several cool design features for safety and rapid air deflation. For now we're mounted them to a set of 40" Maxxis Trepador radials to continue mocking up the rig. We've got a set of the brand spankin' new 40x13.50x17 DOT approved Nitto Trail Grapplers on order with expected arrival at the first of June. We'll have a closer look at the wheels and tires at that time.

For now enjoy a few pictures I grabbed while down at the shop today. As parts arrive we'll see a quick transformation as this rig gets closer to being mobile again. Stay tuned for more and let us know what you think so far...

You must be registered for see images

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you going to move those big chunks of rubber? What do you have in mind for gearing, and are you keeping the stock 3.7L?

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at this point it may be better to just have a tube buggy......?

there is too much of it GONE to be a KJ. if i was going to do a build like this would have just built a tube buggy that llooked like a KJ and swaped the 2.8, wiring, dash, ECt into the buggy. would be a lot cheaper and easy then sell the KJ chassis

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the plans for the Jeep after it get all completed? Will you be showcasing it anywhere? Will it be up for sale eventually?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
there is too much of it GONE to be a KJ. if i was going to do a build like this would have just built a tube buggy that llooked like a KJ and swaped the 2.8, wiring, dash, ECt into the buggy. would be a lot cheaper and easy then sell the KJ chassis

Oh like the Twisted Customs KJ buggy ?

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"It's some super secret bedliner that he bought and rolled on himself."
I have a high level security clearance, so just encrypt the name and forward it to me.

Last edited:

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at this point it may be better to just have a tube buggy......?
Lots of comments on the tube work.... and while this project is getting more and more tube-like, our intention is to build a capable KJ based rig with all the creature comforts KJ owners are accustomed to. A tube buggy with a KJ front clip may seem easier to make into a trail vehicle, however our goal is turn this Jeep into comfortable dual purpose rig that feels stock on the inside (if not for the roll cage). We plan to reuse the stock leather seats, interior panels, dash, gauges, cruise control, and AC, all of which were already functioning properly for us at the beginning of the project. We wanted to show how a stock KJ could be modified into a low slung trail rig. While some might say the cage work is a bit excessive, with plans for me to pilot this Jeep on the Ultimate Adventure this year I welcome the extra safety precautions and overbuild mentality.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you guys are all trying to pick this build apart, BDS is taking a vehicle that is no longer made and doing some r&d and coming up with a new take on a kj trail rig. Yet all i've seen here is people saying they should've done it this way or that way. there are a few different ways that we have seen modded kjs:

option 1: take a bone stock kj and lift it 2-4", bigger tires, bumpers, regear, and accessories like roof racks, sliders, lights etc...

option 2: 6" lift from jba, cradle drop, etc... same as option 1 with bigger tires and a steel d30a housing

option 3: >6" lift, SFA swap, different axles, t-case, real tires, so on and so forth.

there is nothing wrong with those 3 options IMO i like all of them, i think it's safe to say we have all envied TJKJ's rig at one point or another. My issue is that BDS is doing something different and we don't seem too receptive to the idea, why? if they did it the way most of you seem to want it then we would all sit here and say that they're copying people's rigs. the way i look at it if they pull this off and do something thats never been done with a kj before then the interest in kj's will grow.

/rant

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand, but I would be scared to take that thing anywhere that cruise control could be used. Do you plan on having this capable of going 65 MPH on a freeway?

I don't wish to pick this thing apart, I'm actually keeping up with the progress and am looking forward to seeing it completed. I wish you wouldn't have hacked the back off really is all.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I understand, but I would be scared to take that thing anywhere that cruise control could be used. Do you plan on having this capable of going 65 MPH on a freeway?

I don't wish to pick this thing apart, I'm actually keeping up with the progress and am looking forward to seeing it completed. I wish you wouldn't have hacked the back off really is all.

Why would you be afraid to drive this on the highway, but not tjkj's, JJsKJs, allyrand's KJs? The build really isn't so different.

Sent from ThunderbirdJunkie's mind via satellites

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is there is no R&D,they already stated no part of this build will ever make it production for KJ's.Just a side project for them to show off at events.

my poor choice of words, but still it will be seen at events and shows and it is a kj...it could motivate other companies to do something like it and possibly lead to more aftermarket support for the kj.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
tires. only reason really, they look like balloons. don't know tho, got no experience.

If set up properly it would cruise at 65 with no issues
I've driven from Ohio to Florida a few times before in my Ford F150 pickup and my Dodge van on 40s 65-70 all the way , and both were used a DD's as well