Battery terminal solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been having some trouble starting since installing a new higher power stereo, which is likely just a coincidence.

My negative wire had a replacement lead battery terminal that you bolt the wire to. Testing it out with the VOM showed it was the problem. I had a similar problem with one of these on my boat.

I read here how hard it is to get to the ground point, so I found a nice solution at autozone. It is a new terminal clap with two good sized wires coming off it that allowed me to remove a section of the old wire. It installed easy and looks good. Jeep is starting consistently now.

Here is what I got

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-cable/duralast-battery-acc-battery-cable/831027_310094_0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that! I have this same problem on my Ranger. Factory negative clamp rotted away and every few months the replacement lead clamp needs to be taken apart and cleaned. The clamp portion looks like the factory one too.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a good fix & bookmarked!
Back when I had a non sealed lead acid battery, I was cleaning the negative terminal every 6 months on the KJ, due to acid venting.
Then I switched to sealed AGM batteries, and corrosion is almost non existent.
It is funny that I was cleaning the terminals this AM on it's once a year fall clean up.
60492[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Luckily due to maintenance in the early days before the AGM's, the OEM terminals are still present and in good shape.
Many AGM batteries can be purchased for under $200 today, and are a worthwhile investment in power & to eliminate corrosion problems.
The Odyssey in photo remains expensive, but tend to last 10 years!
(Cheers)

Attachments

• vHVAsop.jpg
    vHVAsop.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only about an inch of the copper piece coming from the union of the two negative wires was left, and was under a bolt on a lead terminal clamp. Volts dropped from 14.2 measures at the batter to 0.3 at that copper plate before the union of the two wires.

Now the terminal has has two nice looking wires with long rubber boots covering them, all the way down to where they enter the loom.

We just got this jeep in march. I think it is a bottom shelf minimal quality battery. I will definitely be looking to upgrade.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A reasonable price/quality AGM is made by Exide.
60502[/ATTACH]"]

I don't know what store around Tennessee has them. $150- 175 ish??
AGM stands for absorb glass matt (flat plate) FP-Agm-34 model #
I also have one of the Exide's and it load tested above 1000 CCA new.
In the cold they got mega power, & will not corrode your terminals.
The Odyssey is virgin lead top quality, the most powerful, but $350 ? in USA, Canada $400.

Attachments

• aGyE0sh.jpg
    aGyE0sh.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Bosch in the wife's minivan a few years ago and it's great. She even left the interior lights on overnight a couple months back and it fired right up. I'll definitely be switching to AGMs whenever possible.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't AGM's need a little higher voltage to fully charge them? Me 2015 ram diesel came with them stock.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
They do like 14 to 15 volts but not more than 15 volts.
The Jeep with no electrical load on, AM cold when I start it, puts out 14.5 v aprox, which is perfect.
60504[/ATTACH]"]

Alts will be all over the place especially when hot, but should generally keep the batteries topped up.
I have a few automatic 120volt chargers, and once a month plug it in.
You can tell the battery's state of charge by taking a voltage reading.
This reading was after sitting all night in cold -4c condition.
60506[/ATTACH]"]

Most automatic chargers will do the Job fine. Many now have an agm setting like the C-teks. 6 amp + is good.
Approved odyssey chargers link: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf
How to re-condition an Odyssey battery link: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_Battery_Reconditioning_Charge_Procedure.pdf

Attachments

• G56MFx5.jpg
    G56MFx5.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 0
  • 8jFDws1.jpg
    8jFDws1.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 0

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A reasonable price/quality AGM is made by Exide.
60508[/ATTACH]"]

I don't know what store around Tennessee has them. $150- 175 ish??
AGM stands for absorb glass matt (flat plate) FP-Agm-34 model #
I also have one of the Exide's and it load tested above 1000 CCA new.
In the cold they got mega power, & will not corrode your terminals.
The Odyssey is virgin lead top quality, the most powerful, but $350 ? in USA, Canada $400.

Both my Odyssey batteries(Jeep and Town Car) are the same and both cost me $220 shipped each.

Granted both are Group 65(PC1750) not the group 34 which battery prices are getting out of hand.I have a aftermarket battery tray designed for the Odyssey PC1750 in my KJ.

Attachments

• aGyE0sh.jpg
    aGyE0sh.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you get those "Hercules" 1750's from at that price?
Got a link about your conversion, I remember the tray posts etc..
I wonder if your new hobby is running around giving boost starts to 737's !! :gr_grin: