Battery disconnect and rear window open?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a battery disconnect for when I don't drive it for a few weeks. Will disconnecting the battery for a while cause the rear window to pop open? I plan on garaging it but just in case I leave it in the driveway would like to know.
I vaguely remember reading that it would happen (could not find thread here), and a local junkyard I drive by on way to work has a wrecked KJ sitting there and I noticed the rear window was popped.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
A low/dying battery made my rear window pop open, instead of starting the engine.

Your disconnect switch should keep the window from opening at all unless you open the rear door. Then the window won't close until you put power to it and open the window latch mechanism so the window can relatch.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting..
Good point on rear hatch^^
I had to push in the release lever at rear glass lock to make mine close again after re-powering, as I opened it in power off state.
Did you know that in the under hood power distribution center (fuse panel) there is a storage fuse #15 labelled IOD(ignition off draw)that can be removed.
From owners manual:
"If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than 21days you may want to take steps to protect your battery.
You may: Remove Cartridge fuse #15 in the Power Distribution Center labeled Ignition-Off Draw (IOD).
Store the removed IOD fuse in the Power Distribution Center location #11 labeled “IOD Storage.”
Or, disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (i.e. vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting.
This will insure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the system is started again"

Last edited:

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Great info on the fuse and AC compressor. I don't think I've turned on my AC more than twice all year.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think disconnecting the battery will pop the window open, but with no power it won't close for sure.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC will always cycle ON/OFF by itself briefly even if it is not turned ON so it should be OK.

Only way to disable AC is to pull its relay out but you do not want to do that as the seals will dry out.