Bad/missing TPMS sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sswk06

Reaction score
On my 04 Renegade (fitted with stock wheels) I get the bad/missing TPMS sensor upon each start up. Tire pressures in all 5 tires are good. The EVIC displays the pressure for all 4 tires (R front, L front, R Rear, L Rear). The spare never displayed. I was able to retrain all 5 TPMS sensors with the magnet (don't understand why if one is bad) and I still get the error message upon start up. Which tire is the problem? I'm guessing the spare since all 4 rolling tires display pressures in the EVIC. I assume I'd see a -- in the bad tire on the EVIC. I don't feel like buying 5 sensors at $60-70 each. Any input (searching did not identify a resolution).

Thanks.

UPDATE: I ran the diagnostic test as follows:

Scroll to the blank display by pressing the STEP button.
Press and hold the RESET button for 5 seconds.
The EVIC will emit a beep to indicate the start of the test.
The EVIC will clear the sensor signal counters.
The vehicle icon will be displayed with transmission counter at each corner.
Drive the vehicle at speeds above 25 mph for 10 min.
The counters will increase by one each time a sensor signal is received by the EVIC (approx. 1/min from each wheel except the spare).
The test will continue until any EVIC button is pressed or until the ignition is cycled to OFF.

I think it's my spare - read zero after 30 minutes of driving.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing for about a year even though I can train them and get a pressure reading for all of the tires. If its really cold I get a light on the dash for the first ~5min of driving, but then that goes away.

I figure after 7 years the batteries are getting low in the sensors. You can buy them for cheaper than $60 a pop at tirerack.com. You could also go to a dealer and get them to tell you whats up, but Im sure they would charge you for a half hour or hour of labor. They can hook a scan tool up to it and tell you which sensor is throwing the error code.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 04 Renegade, I ran the same tests with the magnet and the EVIC and the spare did not register. My Amber Tire light however sometimes during driving will come on and blink exactly 10 times then go out, all pressures are perfect including the spare so I am doing some research into this.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt know about the test. Ill have to do that on mine and see what happens.

For the spare, Ive always been curious how it knows to send a signal. Unless Im wrong, the sensors send a signal when it detects the wheel turning. Might could put the spare on and retrain the sensors, then see if it still doesnt give a reading.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last Summer when I got the vehicle, I was driving it and up on the EVIC, the message came as Spare Swap detected, I had noticed that on the vehicle all the tires but one were bad, I guess to certify they had to change one. I was able to take 500 clams off the price because of that. BFGoodrich AT and they have been great in the 4 feet of snow we have recieved around here before Christmas.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the spare, Ive always been curious how it knows to send a signal. Unless Im wrong, the sensors send a signal when it detects the wheel turning.

Old thread, but now this same situation's happened to me on my 04 Limited. I read that the spare sensor only sends a signal to the EVIC every hour or so (some places say up to 13 hrs) as opposed to the rolling tires' every minute. I've done lots of different spare-swap/rotation/retrain combinations and I've come to the conclusion that since the sensors' age are unknown to me (just got the vehicle a couple of months ago) I'm going to assume they're pretty old with aging batteries and it's time to replace 'em all.

HatterMT

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread at this point, I have the exact same issue. Any answers?