Bad cv joint front drive shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The joint in your video is the rear joint(TC end)usually the one that goes.
Check the boot,if it is torn then it needs replacing.

Gyro

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I didn't really see you give it the most important shake. Hold the shaft, grab the head, and twist back and forth, like shifting from drive to reverse. any play, no matter how little this way indicates need for replacement. Actually easier done without removing from vehicle.

Regarding second sentence,,,,, just make sure it's your OWN shaft, or you have permission!!!!!!!!:happy175:

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep, really.

If the boot is gone the joint needs replaced - no questions. The boot faces forward and catches all the crap thrown up by the front tires, which grinds away on the bearings. The missing boot allows the grease to escape as well.

And yes, that is the rear CV joint - not the front one. The front CV joint looks like the one on this drive shaft.

Bob

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP should fill out their profile or put your vehicle info in your sig. I know I've seen you on here before and makes it easier to recognize any year specific issues if we have more info handy.