AZJKJ Box Canyon 11-16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha-ha sorry Shawn, I tried to help you out by taking out the winch with photoshop....I guess a lift is looking like a good idea. I had a great time this trip, I'll see if I can join you guys for the next one.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just want to add, in the river bed due to some good spotting i did not take a strap like the wrangler did ;)

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm reposting a few of these pics over at AZVJC to get some KJ exposure over there. Some of the Wrangler guys over there recognize us LOL.

Hey Shawn, what is that site that you talked about? the AZJVC? Send me the link so I can check it out...

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to say this is the first trail run out of the wells book where wells is completely off base on his rateing. Both Martinez Cabin and Box canyon are rated moderate. There were a few obsticles on the trail that where definitly belonging in the Hard catagory. one was on the box canyon road itself, where is says "looks harder than it is" and a few obsticles right b4 the cabin. These are harder and more dangerous than anything broken arrow has to offer (a trail rated hard). ok im done complaining, either way i totaly enjoyed these obsticles and had a great time w/ them... Not needing any asistance from either rock or rope. :D

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what tail light guards are those in the pic after the blue kj?

those are mine i think, as im the only one w/ tail light guards. And unfortunately i donnno what kind, the came w/ it when i bought it used. =(

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most of the photos that feature a whinch, rope, or any other kind of assistance also feature my blue liberty and my frustrated face...:eek: I'll have to go out on more runs in order to work on my driving skills :D

Arizona KJ Carlos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I PM'd it to you Carlos. Nice pics from the run, I think Ryan (AZ-RED-KJ) and I are going to have fun out there Saturday :)

Yep, got it! Thanks Kevin, I didnt know there were so many forums. That's kind of cool. Thanks,

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just want to say this is the first trail run out of the wells book where wells is completely off base on his rateing. Both Martinez Cabin and Box canyon are rated moderate. There were a few obsticles on the trail that where definitly belonging in the Hard catagory.:D
You forgot Wells' disclaimer that trails are subject to change. Both of the trails you ran are famous for being prone to washout and errosion etc. over time and are always changing after each heavy rain. And, don't forget how many years ago was the book written. Also, moderate for one kind of vehicle could be harder or easier for another, depending on what your driving. In my TJ, I would rate it an easy moderate, in my KJ, moderately difficult for the few spots you mentioned. Off-road driving skills are a big factor too....

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot Wells' disclaimer that trails are subject to change. Both of the trails you ran are famous for being prone to washout and errosion etc. over time and are always changing after each heavy rain. And, don't forget how many years ago was the book written. Also, moderate for one kind of vehicle could be harder or easier for another, depending on what your driving. In my TJ, I would rate it an easy moderate, in my KJ, moderately difficult for the few spots you mentioned. Off-road driving skills are a big factor too....

All those factors you mentioned absolutely must be taken into account to try and project difficulty on a trail one hasent run yet. I over simplify by showing the aswer w/ out the math behind it. But even after i boil that all down the verdict is, I would move martinez cabin up several pegs now due to errosion ect. Im just making note where in fact the forces of nature have done their worst to the trail. Thought that would be helpful to those who have not run it yet, like Kevin next week :D

Harder is not relative in that instance b/c the vehicle equip and skill level are constants. What IS relative, based on those factors you mentioned, are how hard or easy they ALL are, based on one's driving equip and skill. So the relativity of all the trails should be constant no matter what your equipment or skill level. They will be different only when 1) Wells has a differing opinion than another driver 2) forces of nature have shifted the trails shape.

i believe this case to be item 2 like you mentioned. and now i have listed "why" rather than my first abriviated answer

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about me bud, one of the first trails I did in my Jeep was Martinez Cabin, and all I had on it was the boulder bars, engine skid and hitches - no lift, no other armor :eek: But thanks for the heads up, it should be fun back there :D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about me bud, one of the first trails I did in my Jeep was Martinez Cabin, and all I had on it was the boulder bars, engine skid and hitches - no lift, no other armor

Sounds familiar, except I have no boulder bars :D

Did you get all the way to the cabin stock?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds familiar, except I have no boulder bars :D

Did you get all the way to the cabin stock?
Not quite. From the look of this picture

You must be registered for see images attach

I think I got to just before this obstacle, about 1/4 mile from the cabin itself:

Stopped right where the arrow points, the cabin is in the green circle. Don't think I'll have a problem this time ;)

AZ-RED-KJ

Reaction score

box canyon was nicea few spots were a little tough
great day to be out wheelin

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Did you guys have to break out the strap or stack for that last stretch before the cabin? Also, did you go up the waterfall in the canyon?

Oh, and Corwyyn, I hated that ravine that you are spinning the tire in. It was deceptive and fooled me twice LOL.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Did you guys have to break out the strap or stack for that last stretch before the cabin? Also, did you go up the waterfall in the canyon?

Oh, and Corwyyn, I hated that ravine that you are spinning the tire in. It was deceptive and fooled me twice LOL.
We got back to the cabin just fine, but on the way out I took a couple of stupid lines and got hung up two different times, luckily there were some nice guys around that were able to tug me off (I actually got to take the plastic wrap off my strap :D). And yea, I had to back up a couple of times on that one dip and finally just give it a hard bump up to get going. Seeing that picture I had no idea I had that much flex going on \\:D/(biggthumpup)