Auxilary front lamps (on bumper)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with aux. lighting on the front bumper, do your lights have glass lenses?

I had replaced my 4" "fog" (driving) lights on my Grand Prix with some nice 55w glass lights. I liked them, however, I went though 3-4 pair in 5 years of ownership due to rocks cracking them.

I'd like to throw some on the bumper of my Sport, somewhat like the Renegade style, but am worried that I'll constantly be replacing them. Some lights come with metal grills, but they seem to be spaced far apart and a small stone on the freeway could easily crack the lens. In the past, it wasn't boulder-sized stones causing the problem, little pebbles were deadly.

I've also seen some of the fabric covers (like KC uses)...I don't care for the look, and since the covers will be on 99% of the time, I'd prefer for them to look good.

What's your experience? Do exposed glass lights seem to do well enough on the bumper? I'm not looking for expensive lighting, just some supplimental "Autozone 55W" type of thing.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you with aux. lighting on the front bumper, do your lights have glass lenses?

I had replaced my 4" "fog" (driving) lights on my Grand Prix with some nice 55w glass lights. I liked them, however, I went though 3-4 pair in 5 years of ownership due to rocks cracking them.

I'd like to throw some on the bumper of my Sport, somewhat like the Renegade style, but am worried that I'll constantly be replacing them. Some lights come with metal grills, but they seem to be spaced far apart and a small stone on the freeway could easily crack the lens. In the past, it wasn't boulder-sized stones causing the problem, little pebbles were deadly.

I've also seen some of the fabric covers (like KC uses)...I don't care for the look, and since the covers will be on 99% of the time, I'd prefer for them to look good.

What's your experience? Do exposed glass lights seem to do well enough on the bumper? I'm not looking for expensive lighting, just some supplimental "Autozone 55W" type of thing.

I've had hella 500FFs on the front bumper for about 8 months now. I'm not sure if there class lens or not but they never got hit yet or at least that i've noticed. i also purchased a set of Grille covers for the hellas to provide some extra protection. The lights where $65 from walmart and the the grille covers where $20 from pepboys. The Grille covers also make the lights look alot better.

With out Grille Covers
You must be registered for see images

With Grille Covers

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hellas are glass but Ive never had problems. Been on there fro a few years.

Then again, there isnt one rock chip on the front end of my Jeep. :)

towmeKJ

Reaction score
This is simular to the stuff I have been using for years. If you order it in bulk you can cut it to fit whatever type of aux. lights you are installing. I have used it on glass flat headlights and aux. lights. It is hard to find in bulk anymore. So I spent part of my day looking. since I want some too. Before I install my aux. lights.

http://www.cleardefender.com/invisible-bra/clear-headlight-bulk-film-3172.php

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is simular to the stuff I have been using for years. If you order it in bulk you can cut it to fit whatever type of aux. lights you are installing. I have used it on glass flat headlights and aux. lights. It is hard to find in bulk anymore. So I spent part of my day looking. since I want some too. Before I install my aux. lights.

http://www.cleardefender.com/invisible-bra/clear-headlight-bulk-film-3172.php

I've used something similar in the past, forget the name. Does this burn? My concern is that 55W or 100W may burn it as I experienced that with the other stuff. Maybe it was called XPel or something?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Did it. Worked just fine. Never had any issues. Make sure to get a set with a decent wiring kit because the really cheap ones have horrible wiring kits... One with a relay works Okay.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hellas are glass but Ive never had problems. Been on there fro a few years.

Then again, there isnt one rock chip on the front end of my Jeep. :)

Lucky B**tard :D I got my first rock chip in my windshield only have months of having the KJ. It's like super super super small but I know it's there and its right in my viewing area.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have clear plastic guards over my glass hella's. i never had any damage for the few weeks i drove with out covers though.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hella 500's are 55W. Is that worthwhile, or is it better for 100W or 130W bulbs? Can the 500's handle something higher than 55W, or will they melt?

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hella 500's are 55W. Is that worthwhile, or is it better for 100W or 130W bulbs? Can the 500's handle something higher than 55W, or will they melt?

You can buy 100watt bulbs for the hella 500FF's. I still have 55watts in my hellas and in combination with my head lights, fog lights and hellas on there is a lot of lighting.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These wouldn't be the 500FF, just the standard (cheaper) 500. I'd assume they both use the standard 55w H3 bulb in stock form.

Not sure if the seller on Amazon still has them, but the normal Hella 500's are $39.99. I thought that was a great deal.

I have stock fogs, so I want something decently bright for driving in rural areas. Both my parents and my mother in law have summer places in northern MI, and it's DARK out there at night.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy 100watt bulbs for the hella 500FF's. I still have 55watts in my hellas and in combination with my head lights, fog lights and hellas on there is a lot of lighting.
ok, so we can buy them, but are you saying that hella's wiring harness for 55w can handle 100w?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd assume the wiring harness probably isn't up to the job. I'd just build a custom harness and use a 30A relay.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so we can buy them, but are you saying that hella's wiring harness for 55w can handle 100w?

well I did some futher research. You have to do some wire upgrading So my bad.

These wouldn't be the 500FF, just the standard (cheaper) 500. I'd assume they both use the standard 55w H3 bulb in stock form.

Not sure if the seller on Amazon still has them, but the normal Hella 500's are $39.99. I thought that was a great deal.

I have stock fogs, so I want something decently bright for driving in rural areas. Both my parents and my mother in law have summer places in northern MI, and it's DARK out there at night.

I would stick with 500FF. Mostly becuase the FF's Look similiar in design (THe backing of lamps match and the clear lens) to the KJ Head lights. The 500FF's are only 5-10 dollars more than the 500's. I bought my 500FF's at walmart for $65. The 500's where there for $60. Plus Hella Claims the FF are brighter due to there design.

http://www.myhellalights.com/halogen_lamps/Hella_500FF.html#

Last edited:

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have both on my jeep, the free forms go further with less width and the regular 500's are a wider beam with less distance.

what guage wiring should i use for 100w? im using 16g with my own wiring

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
For piece of mind I use one 30 amp relay and stock wiring harness with each 100 watt (and up) bulb/lamp.
I've found this to be helpful, as I've had one relay burn out and this way I only lost one lamp and not a pair off road.
Each 100 watt bulb uses 8.33 amps X two= 16.66 amps. The fuse that is installed in most 55 watt (110 watt for two lamps = 9.166 amps) is a 15 amp. so running two 100 watt bulbs will exceed the rating of the wiring harness.
Now, I have done it, but I have also had a major melt down under the hood of one of my cars (24 years ago whilst young)

Latest posts

Members online