Are CV shafts supposed to be straight/level at correct ride height?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was working on my '05, before I jacked it up, I looked at the CV shafts. They have a definite upward slope from transaxle to wheels. If I jack it up about 1.5" - 2" it levels them out nicely. Shouldn't they be level? :shrug:
The struts/springs look like they've never been touched, so I assume they are OEM. The measurement from wheel center to fender flare edge is about 18.5" IIRC.
Now the million dollar question, will new oem struts/springs level it?
I really don't plan on wheelin' with this Jeep, it's intended to be a winter back and forth to work vehicle and will likely sit most of the summer, so I don't want to spend $800+ on a suspension kit. I even looked at building my own (KYB struts $60ea, Moog springs$50, Rocky Road 1.5" upper mount$200, seats/iso's, etc) but that comes out at around $450, which may be my best bet. Can you re-use the oem seats/iso's? That would save $100. How about better/taller springs and oem upper mounts?
Basically, I want/need about 2" of lift from where it is now, not necessarily from oem height. So, what's my best option?
See my user name!:icon_lol:

I was just reading up on the WesWay lift, maybe that with a new quickstrut?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow two bad words in one post , RRO and Wesway
What you are suggesting is , well fits your name, cheap :icon_lol:
Would I ever do it, install it for some one or suggest it ?
No due to its not really a good alternative IMO.
Do I think everyone should lift 3-4 inches no but using good quality products for a better ride and handling would be much better

By the way the so called wesway is what we all had done with lifts he just used it and put his name on it like it was something special which it never was

But if you want cheap not sure if those all in one struts come with Monroe sensatracs but if so that is the only way I use any of them. Most are as cheap as you can go with parts and provide a low quality ride at best. But you can use a top plate with them and more than likely sit about 19.5-19.75 inches, add 3/8 inch clevis and get another 3/4 inch

But even with spending that much I'd still spend the little extra for a WAY better ride and handling

Last edited:

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of figured you'd say that.
OK, so let's say I go with Bilstien or Ironman struts, and Ironman springs, spacer and a clevis lift, how much of the current parts can I use, or is all that old stuff pretty much shot? They really don't look bad, but how do I know?
I don't want it to look stupid with stock tires and don't plan to go bigger, so just a little over stock height is all I want.
I haven't had much experience with struts, so far all my vehicles are older and had springs and shocks.

Oh yeah, original question wasn't answered, are CV shafts supposed to be level?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should have a level or slightly down slop to the CV axle. If you are at 18.5" your suspension could use some help.

That is about where I was when I re-did mine a few years ago and had low funds to work with.
I used KYB shocks and Moog springs along with a 3/8" top plate and a clevis adjustment + 2 extra isolators in rear. And it has worked pretty well, it gave a the Jeep a better stance, got me just a bit higher that original stock height and looked good with my tires.

That being said, here I am almost 4 years and 40k later and I am again looking at replacing at least the front suspension as it has sagged quite a bit in front. I am currently back down to just over 19."

So, if you are looking at getting into it for just a few more years and want to improve the ride in the short term, then you could go the way I went.
However, if looking longer term, then it will be cheaper and better to go with a better quality lift now if at all possible.

Have a local shop deal with the coil-over assembly once you get them out.
And stay away form RRO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To comment more on what Jo6pak stated there lies the issue with using basically the same or lesser grade than stock.
For me if I was to do that I'd be looking at rebuilding my suspension again in 2 years or less. My first OME set up lasted 100,000 miles, so compare price per mile and which is the better deal? Plus that's not even taking into consideration the better handling or ride
Its not only a good upgrade but also makes financial sense as well

Yes you can reuse the upper and lower isolators in front by the way
And new stock they (CVs) had a very slight downward look to the outside

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this is a mostly winter vehicle, and will only see about 5-6k a year, (I drive my 2wd '81 Dodge in the summer) I don't need to spend too much, but I will get better shocks and springs. It will be a summer project and can sit a week or three if needed.
Thanks

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this is a mostly winter vehicle, and will only see about 5-6k a year, (I drive my 2wd '81 Dodge in the summer) I don't need to spend too much, but I will get better shocks and springs. It will be a summer project and can sit a week or three if needed.
Thanks

That's the mindset the people get in trouble with. Winter is the most trying time for vehicles. Since you are in PA you probably know that well. If you just do springs and shocks you can get 2-2.5" and be much better off. I reused all my other parts except my sway bar end links which the bolt broke off and was frozen into.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes winter time use almost doubles the wear and tear on suspension parts , well unless you live in Arizona etc :icon_lol:

The 05 I picked up for my Step Father a few months ago only had 78,000 miles on it. BUT, It drives like a boat , the ride in mine is 200 times better than his is
I have to figure some way to get it away from them for a day and do some " ahem upgrades"

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Czar said.

The only new parts you need are the springs and shocks - the components that make up the front coilover are reused along with the isolators in the rear. The only new, add-on parts are the top spacers and clevis in the front. The Bilstein/Ironman setup you mentioned would be perfect for what you're looking for.

Bob

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've convinced me to go with better struts, Bilstien, and springs, Ironman. I'll re-use the other parts, unless obvious damage.
Thanks for convincing me I need to......spend more?:gr_grin:
I already spent a bunch, serpentine belt, front wheel bearings, spark plugs, trans and t-case fluid, power steering hose, and I know I need rear wheel bearings and seals, pinion seal, rear u-joints, and at least the rear spacers and shocks, once the front is up.
Still, it costs less to repair, and drive, than my Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've convinced me to go with better struts, Bilstien, and springs, Ironman. I'll re-use the other parts, unless obvious damage.
I already spent a bunch, serpentine belt, front wheel bearings, spark plugs, trans and t-case fluid, power steering hose, and I know I need rear wheel bearings and seals, pinion seal, rear u-joints, and at least the rear spacers and shocks, once the front is up.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

J/K You will have a properly maintained reliable vehicle right there soon!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...The 05 I picked up for my Step Father a few months ago only had 78,000 miles on it. BUT, It drives like a boat , the ride in mine is 200 times better than his is
I have to figure some way to get it away from them for a day and do some " ahem upgrades"
You doing that pro bono? Because if so, I'd like to say that I've always thought of you as the son I never had. :happy175:

You've convinced me to go with better struts, Bilstien, and springs, Ironman...
You may end up liking the ride so much that you find yourself driving it more than you expected to. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You doing that pro bono? Because if so, I'd like to say that I've always thought of you as the son I never had. :happy175:

OK now its been a long day today,.........but I know your age, I know my age...... and for some reason this just doesn't make any sense err wait OK OK its the new math thats how it works

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've never heard of the "Wayback" machine? Son, I know you remember Saturday morning cartoons with Peabody and Sherman!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
OK now its been a long day today,.........but I know your age, I know my age...... and for some reason this just doesn't make any sense err wait OK OK its the new math thats how it works

Don't sass your old man, sonny! :whip:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
\

Many resist Dr. Mudd's prescription, BUT...

Relax! He needs some information first...
Just the basic facts...can you tell him where it hurts ?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
\

Many resist Dr. Mudd's prescription, BUT...

Relax! He needs some information first...
Just the basic facts...can you tell him where it hurts ?

That's funny. I just went to a Britt Floyd concert last night. They ended the show by doing the entire second side of the The Wall