Anyone with an Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If so, how long, and did you buy it with from the dealer or elsewhere? Would you do it again? Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
we do...
it just doubled up on the regular...(instead of 3/30 it's 6/60)
we got it from the dealer, but it's with an third party company, not dcx
i called em up like a year and a half ago back when i when my dealer was totally ******* me off....(they still do) it was bought out by ford, and I can use it at basically any place of my liking.....

would i do it again...it's up in the air...

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have one, and I bought before DCX started offering the seven/seventy thing.

bigfella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 7/70 from DCX. I thought this sorta thing was a waste at first but my wife's Pontiac Bonneville showed me what a good thing they are to have after one trip to get something electrical fixed...the more sensors and electrical stuff they stick on cars the more it takes to fix it. As an example, the Bonne had a wheel sensor go bad for the disc brakes and the part alone was 800 dollars...and that was as cheap as *I* could find it after the dealer told me that was the price. I always double check to make sure they are not screwing me. The new Bonne had several different problems that we had fixed so the warranty was more than paid for. I think they are worth it if your going to stay stock...going modified presents whole new issues unless you like fighting with dealers!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No extended warranty here. I can't afford it, hehe. Figured I wouldn't really need it. It is one of Chrysler's most reliable vehicles after all, with a lot of time tested components. Besides....that stupid deductible turns me off.

CoasterG

Reaction score
I bought the extended warranty - had one on my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it paid off there, ended up fixing some serious issues before I traded it in and got a rebate on the amount of the warranty remaining.

So its proved its worth to me in the past so spending the extra $ on my 2004 Liberty for one seems worth it to me.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer hasn't been able to fix my problems now or claims they don't exist so whats the point. Personally, I'd rather save the money and do it myself or have a private mechanic fix it. All big ticket items are covered under the 7/70 so I don't see a need. Alot of the sensors are expensive if you get them from the dealer, but aftermarket and used take off are usually a fraction of the cost.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a yr after purchase, DC sent me an offer to buy an ext warr. directly. They offered many different options based on my driving habits, etc.. I chose 7 year/60K mi. Added Care plan. Total cost was $684 and DC gave me option to pay monthly with no interest. I'll do it again for my next Jeep.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
All big ticket items are covered under the 7/70 so I don't see a need.

You think so, but wait till your AC blows up (or just about anything else besides the powertrain) after 4-5 years. Guess what. It ain't covered.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
extended warranties

extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. They suck. You usually end up with double coverage on items already covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If there is a repair needed, it is usually for something NOT covered by the extended warranty plan. It's a scam. I refuse to purchase ANY extended warranty on ANY product. If the product doesn't give desireable service, I just won't ever buy that brand again. [-X

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: extended warranties

lightfoot44 said:
extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. They suck. You usually end up with double coverage on items already covered by the manufacturer's warranty. If there is a repair needed, it is usually for something NOT covered by the extended warranty plan. It's a scam. I refuse to purchase ANY extended warranty on ANY product. If the product doesn't give desireable service, I just won't ever buy that brand again. [-X

You need to include these letters in your post IMO.

I purchased an Extended warranty for 7 years on a 93 Dodge. Paid $400 + direct from Chrysler. Keep in mind that @ the time Chrysler only warranted B to B for 12 months, 7/70 on powertrain, so nothing except P/T was covered for over a year. Sure enough 3 years into the purchase the AC condensor blew. A $500+ repair. EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERED IT subject to $50 ded. It paid for itself with that 1 repair. IMO, your post is not worth the paper it's written on.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranties are insurance policies

I don't need to include jack diddly in my post. Extended warranties are insurance policies. They suck, and they don't pay off for the majority of people. That's not opinion, it's fact. I suppose you think car insurance pays off too? Homeowner's insurance? Life Insurance???? that's a good one....pays off when you're dead....Bet you like that one....LOLOLOLOL
P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute....might that be you? \:D/ by the way smart guy, I don't believe my post is written on paper.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Extended warranties are insurance policies

lightfoot44 said:
Extended warranties are insurance policies. They suck, and they don't pay off for the majority of people. That's not opinion, it's fact. I suppose you think car insurance pays off too? Homeowner's insurance? Life Insurance???? that's a good one....pays off when you're dead....Bet you like that one....LOLOLOLOL
P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute....might that be you? \:D/

Lighten up Franny. No need to get defensive. I didn't bash you, did I. Just implying that you are wrong to infer such a broad generalization.

Extended warranties are insurance policies? No $h!t , Archimedes!!!

You are obviously a supreme cynic. To each his own. However, a sucker I would have been had I NOT purchased the warranty and had to pay a $500 repair bill on a 3 year old car. And THAT is the concrete fact. Later.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to upset anyone, but extended warranties are really not worth it for the consumer if you think from the business side. The point of anyone selling an extended warranty is to make money. If most people end up on the plus side of the warranty purchase then the underwriter loses money. Extended warranties work just like insurance. Pool the money of a large group to pay out claims and offer protection for a small group.

The price of some complete coverage warranties can be as much as 1500 dollars. $1500 dollars can pay for ALOT of repairs if you are willing to shop around and do some work yourself. Even if the AC compressor goes or major sensor and you have the dealer fix it, odds are you will probably not reach 1500 dollars in repairs otherwise no one would be selling extended warranties.

However, alot of people like the peace of mind that extended warranties provide. So it is your decision. Remember that those extended warranties are marked up huge at times (as much as 30-40%) so there is alot of room to negotiate.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHUD said:
Eddo said:
All big ticket items are covered under the 7/70 so I don't see a need.

You think so, but wait till your AC blows up (or just about anything else besides the powertrain) after 4-5 years. Guess what. It ain't covered.

And I can probably pay to fix it out of pocket along with another repair or two and still be under the total cost of the extended warranty. BTW, a brand new OEM compressor is only 373.60; a rebuilt or after market one would probably be considerably less. Heck you could probably pick one up from the local parts yard for under 100 bucks and install it yourself.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Extended warranties are insurance policies

CHUD said:
[quote="lightfootpolicies.

Lighten up Franny. No need to get defensive. I didn't bash you, did I. Just implying that you are wrong to infer such a broad generalization.

Extended warranties are insurance policies? No $h!t , Archimedes!!!

You are obviously a supreme cynic. To each his own. However, a sucker I would have been had I NOT purchased the warranty and had to pay a $500 repair bill on a 3 year old car. And THAT is the concrete fact. Later.

The concrete fact is that I poved my point, you lose, and it's not a matter of being cynical...it's a matter of being smart and practical. Extended warranties are stupid...is that plain enough?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's comments. I didn't mean to start an argument here. This isn't JU! enguard.gif

I think we can all agree that they have come in handy for those that have had to use them. My wife in college bought a used Dakota and bought one with it for $1000. I personally would not have (nor would I have bought that Dakota!). But funny thing, a year later the transmission started having problems. It took two shops to fix it and we probably broke even (but I would like to think that it cost the warranty company more! =D> ).

Hopefully my '04 will hold up for many years as I have already committed my tax refund elsewhere! 8-[

flyingpylon

Reaction score
This is only a small consideration, but an extended warranty can add value to your vehicle if you decide to sell it before the extended warranty period is over. I just recently sold a 2001 Honda Accord that had 18 months left on the extended warranty, and was able to get even more than "top dollar" for it as a result (granted, it was also in great shape and had low miles). So it's not like the extended warranty has to be a complete waste if you don't use it.

For people who aren't mechanically inclined and/or don't tend to have sufficient cash flow to cover potential costly repairs, an extended warranty can provide a lot of peace of mind. You also have to look at what the extended warranty provides. For example, the HondaCare warranty provides roadside assistance, a loaner car for any time your vehicle needs to be in the shop longer than an hour (I think) and a bunch of other stuff. It's not just for the cost of the repair itself.

Yes, it's an insurance policy, and the companies selling them make money by selling them. But so does my homeowner's insurance company... yet I'm still glad my house hasn't ever burned down. Obviously more people don't have to use their extended warranties than do have to use them, so you can choose to play the odds if you want. But those odds don't do you any good when it's *your* vehicle that has a problem.

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
extended warranties as insurance

hey, if you need a big soft blanket to keep you secure, then go ahead and waste money on mechanical breakdown insurance. I'd rather shop around, find the best product for the best price, and skip purchasing more freaking insurance.
Insurance is a scam. You pay for something you don't want to pay for, and if you use it, it cost's you more. Now tell me what's wrong with that picture. There's co-payments, deductibles, premiums, exclusions, ...what a farce. On an earlier Ford I was dumb enough to buy an extended warranty. The few problems I had were either excluded on the policy, or by the time I paid the deductible, they hardly paid Jack s**t. I promised myself that would never happen again for any item...from cars to refrigerators to electronics...no way Jose...What a scam! =;

CoasterG

Reaction score
One bad experience = every type of insurance is bad.

Solid reasoning there.

Everyone needs to make up their own mind about what they need, I've had great experiences with Chrysler extended warranty plans in the past with issues with my 1989 Jeep Cherokee, then my 2000 Grand Cherokee and 2002 Grand Cherokee. The plans worked well, covered the issues that were not covered by the general warranty or happened after that warranty expired. Once I sold my car, I got reimbursed the value of the warranty that was still remaining which was great also.

That's my personal experience, I didn't buy an extended warranty for my 2003 Acura TL-S since the general opinion is that Hondas are so great, and that car was a total PoS. Blew the transmission after about 16 months and they put a rebuilt/reconditioned one in - I traded it in about a month later and got my Liberty. Feel much better now...

George