Anyone with an Extended Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i purchased my 03 libby, i got the extended warranty, wanted a 'piece of mind'. paid about $1,000 for it. something went on my libby at 45k miles and it was leaking yellow fluid. i took it in and they said the power steering hoses went, and had to replace them ($300.00)
They also knew I had the extended warranty because i mentioned it when i dropped the vehicle off. that was a big mistake. i feel they ripped me off knowing i had the coverage and they blamed something else for causing my leak and how perfect, that part wasnt covered. I recently traded in my 03 for an 05 renegade, and DID NOT get the extended warranty. I am also getting about $480.00 back from the remainder of the policy. i think that the dealerships really try to get you for anything they can. also is the power steering fluid yellow? i thought that was anti freeze that was yellow...what do i know. #-o

dnm45227

Reaction score
I understand the "doing it yourself" mentality all to well. I only recenlty got to a point in my life when I could afford (what I consider) a high end vehicle. Before that something would break on my "beater" , I'd take it to a couple of shops, get roughly the same estimate, see the parts cost versus labor cost, and finally ask one of the shops to show me where the part is located. That's when the junk yard combing began, and how I learned to handle most light repairs.
Like I said, I finally reached a point in my life when it's cheaper for me to buy the warranty and pay the deductable then to take time off work to "pay" myself to fix the problem.
Something else that influenced my decision to buy the warranty is the fact that 4wd systems have a differant drive train and components that I have no experience in repairing (again it wouldn't be cost effective for me to learn by taking off work to fix things).
In short, there's no blanket answer. You have to judge your abilities in being able to hanlde a repair, having the time to do it, and under what circumstances the breakdown could occure (out of town, cold winter, etc...).
Just how couple reason why I bought the warranty and some things you may not have considered.

superspeckman

Reaction score
I've never had an extended warranty that didn't pay for itself. I've had OEM, 3rd Party, and even a Ford ESP on a Hyundai of all things. Family member had 2 transmissions and a head gasket done under extended waranty on a POS Chrysler minivan. Not making a blanket statement about all extended warranties but IMO worth the gamble.

precoislen

Reaction score
I purchased the extended warrant thru DC, when I bought my Libby over an month ago, and I think for thr 7/70 protection, no deductible, and free rental car it is worth it. Nothing out of my pocket if it breaks down.

We bought the extended warranty for our 2002 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson Super Crew, with coverage for 7/100K and we have to pay an deductible, plus rental car fees.

DC's coverage is better plus I like the piece of mind.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no logic here, sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. For me, they have paid for themselves before, but never on a vehicle, so I have quit getting them on my vehicles, but I still get them on electronics. :-k

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess some people on here don't carry home insurance either.

When that idiot driving on the road comes along and smashes into you and totals your car and they are like you, don't carry auto insurnace, you'll be crying in your beer because you are now screwed.

I hope you people that have families have life insurance. The idea behind that is to leave money for your family so 1. they can take care of the high cost of the burial for you and 2. they can maintain a home sine they just lost a major part of the income to care for the family.

If you suffer damage to your home due to flooding (ask those in California, hurricane damage (ask those in Florida), collapsed roof due to snow (ask anyone in the high Rockies), forest fire (California and Colorado), your insurance will help you get a new home. Without it, go buy a tent.

I bought the extended warranty to cover only up to the life of the loan, five years.

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought most states require you have home and auto insurance?
as for the extended warranty, some people want it to feel secure others are pretty handy and/or know a good mechanic that wont screw them.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we have to have auto insurance, but I do not believe we have to have home owner's insurance unless the we carry a mortgage, but it would be nuts not to have it. I don't criticize anyone for buying an extended warranty, I just quite buying them myself because I have never used them on my vehicles --knocks on wood--, but they usually wind up paying for themselves on my electronics purchase.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Requiring insurance and having insurance are two different things. There are so many people driving around in states that require auto insurance, but don't have insurance. When they hit you and total your vehicle, having them go to jail doesn't get you a new Jeep. Go ahead and sue them, it'll cost you more for fees than what you would get from them and you still won't get your Jeep replaced.

But anyways, back to Warranty's. They protect you if the product goes bad. Many people have encountered that with their vehicles in the past.

bornbrit

Reaction score
Extended warranty

heres one for ya..When I purchaced my 05 Libby in April I refused the extended warranty and I have questioned my decision quite often.the other day i received a letter from DC offering me the extended warranty for different time periods with the option to receive half back if I never use it.The prices were about $50 to $75 higher than my origonal quote....any thoughts pro or con, doesnt seem bad to me are there any pitfalls I dont see

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
The price of some complete coverage warranties can be as much as 1500 dollars.

The warranty I was offered at the Chrysler Dodge dealer to cover my *Certified* used Limited from 50k to 100k was $2,196. Guess I'm different since I think most of you are talking new (and mine was preowned) but as I'm covered until 80k on the powertrain, etc., buying Certified used as it is, that $2,196 was for everything else the standard 8/80 warranty doesn't cover plus add another 20k of full coverage to get to 100k mi. They said they were "pulling strings" to get me such a great price on it and that the terms they offered were only available to me as a result of me already having purchased Certified used. Uh huh.

That would have extended my loan and raise my payments significantly. I just couldn't do it. We'll see as the years go by though if that was the right call. If I have to spend over $2,196 on my Limited in repairs over the next 2-3 years though it won't be in the family long.