Anyone using 245's in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to finally dump my stock tires...I've decided to go with BFG T/A KO's. I haven't decided on the size yet. I may stay with 225 75r16's, but also considering 245 70r16's.

My first concern is snow. We get a decent amount in New England and I am wondering if anyone has gone to 245's and noticed any loss of performance in snow because of the increased width. Is the extra 20mm enough to make a difference?

My second concern is rubbing. Almost everything I have read says "no rub with 245 70r16's on a stock suspension, except minor rubbing at full lock in reverse." I bought my Liberty certified used from a Jeep dealer a little less than 20,000 miles ago. So I'm hoping they replaced any sagging suspension parts, but who knows. Each wheel is different, but I have an average of about 18.5" from center of wheel to bottom of fender flare.

Right now I'm leaning towards staying with 225's...The 245's give me virtually no more height, and although the wider tires will probably look better. I doubt they will give me better performance in snow, probably worse. Any thoughts of why I should do 245's?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no reason to go 245s if you're looking for snow performance. Also everything I've ever heard people say is that KOs suck in the snow. For the price you can get a tire that's twice as good. KOs are old and tire tread has come a long way since those were engineered. The best snow tire from what I've heard is the GY duratrac. They also have that extra extreme weather rating as well. Not sure what it means, but I don't see that on other tires in the same price range.
I'm just saying look around and don't get fixated on the BFG KOs. There's many better tires out there.

The perfect tire for you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires... White Letters&partnum=375QR5WDTOWL&tab=Specs

Last edited:

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'll check them out. The main reason I was looking at the BFG's is because I'd like to use them for some light off-road too. Nothing too crazy, just logging roads, trails in the woods and occasionally a little mud...enough to puncture the sidewall of one of my stock tires already. That being said, it is also my daily driver so I'm not looking for MT's. Have you used them off-road at all?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lifted and have the 245/75s. I've offroaded a little with them and they are great. I dare to say they may be the "perfect" tire for those that DD their KJ and take it offroad occasionally. They aren't MTs and not really ATs. They're somewhere in between and not that many tires are in that category and they hit that sweet spot nicely. I've had many people with complement them too.

They only complaint I have is that they aren't silent. You can play with air pressure though to get it where you like it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have sagged out suspension if you are at 18.5
so rubbing will occur with 245-70s more so
I ran 245-70s when mine was brand new and only time it rubbed was at full lock
So I'd try a set before buying them to make sure
BFG used to make some great tires, but there are lots of better options anymore

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked out the Duratracs. They look pretty cool, and reviews seem mostly good. It seems like the BFG's do have some better reviews but maybe that's just because they tend to be the first tire a lot of people think to buy. I think I'm going to give the Duratracs a try. Staying with 225's. Next I'll probably do some work to my suspension to at least bring it back to stock, if not a little higher. Was checking out silent armor too, but I think I like the Duratracs better

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Duratracs are great
I installed a set of 265-75-16s on mine when I had 129,000 on it, now with 176,000 I still have over 10/32s of tread left
I went places in 2 wheel drive that I couldn't go in 4 wheel with the BFG ATs
Just make sure to keep them rotated every 4-5000 miles

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duratracs are great
I installed a set of 265-75-16s on mine when I had 129,000 on it, now with 176,000 I still have over 10/32s of tread left
I went places in 2 wheel drive that I couldn't go in 4 wheel with the BFG ATs
Just make sure to keep them rotated every 4-5000 miles

Awesome...glad I asked for opinions first or else I would have just went with BFG automatically. I'm sure they would have been good tires, but I obviously want the best I can for the money.

What do you think about doing a 5 tire rotation with them? Also just curious, you said my suspension is definitely sagging at 18.5"...what should it be to bring it back to stock? I'm thinking I'll upgrade the shocks/springs to at least get it back to stock...maybe even an inch or 2 higher. Then I can maybe even go a little bigger on the tires too.

Also, just realized I wasnt paying attention and posted this in the KK section my mistake. I have a KJ...'06 Sport.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
depending on how it was optioned new would of been in the 19-19.5 range
If you want a good lift with only 2 inches of lift and a good ride look at the Ironman sold through jeepinbyal
650 for all 4 springs and shocks and the ride and handling is real good , way better than stock. with those you could get away with 245-75-16s
5 tire rotation is the best way to go

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I ran the BFG's for 3 years before my current set of tires. I liked them and didn't have any complaints about them. They did well in the Chicago area/Midwest winters, did well in the rain... the only place that they truly suffered was the soupy/snotty mud in off-road conditions.

Oh, and their longevity was great too - I think I got approx 60-70K miles out of them. I'd buy them again.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks again for all the info. Ironman looks good. I was also considering OME.
I see they have 2 options for front coils, stock bumper and winch bumper. Would it hurt anything to use the 14C, designed for a winch bumper with the stock bumper? ...with the idea that I may add a winch bumper later.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd consider Nitto Terra Grapplers too...I have them on my Jeep and LR3, they've handled everything I've thrown at them.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
NO problem with 245's in snow .. but as Tom said you will get some rub at full lock ... maybe more with your springs. Silent Armours are very good ... would have loved some more life but I did make it to the end of their designated tread life. Duratracs are my next tire ... in a few short months. 245-75-16 (which means I have a lot of work to do first)

Good Luck

ONTHEPIPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 245-75x16 BF M/T's on a F250. Different ride I know but the tires are GREAT in snow and wear amazing!! I'm lookin to put them on my renegade. Going with 235-70x16..... It's the size that was on it when I bought it. One thing though is the BF's hate ice, black ice, hard pack snow on road!! I work for a roads dept. in Ontario so I get many extra early morning call outs to plow roads, and in the deep stuff they're great....... But those duratrax sound cool and I'm gonna look at them 1st ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had 245-75x16 BF M/T's on a F250. Different ride I know but the tires are GREAT in snow and wear amazing!! I'm lookin to put them on my renegade. Going with 235-70x16..... It's the size that was on it when I bought it. One thing though is the BF's hate ice, black ice, hard pack snow on road!! I work for a roads dept. in Ontario so I get many extra early morning call outs to plow roads, and in the deep stuff they're great....... But those duratrax sound cool and I'm gonna look at them 1st ;)

If you drive in lots of snow , you'll like the Duratracs

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to lift it and get them on...definitely doing it before winter, hopefully this month or next. I'll post pics when it's all done.