Anyone know welding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a welder unit, not sure which type to get. I will never use it, so I'm not into spending alot. I'm looking to get a CJ for a summer toy, and might use it to weld in some new sheet metal or possibly have to use it for the roll cage or something. Also, I'd like to maybe use it to make small stuff, like a tire mounted hi-jack mount, or possibly some sliders. What type of unit should I get.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having said that, enroll in a course and learn first, then go out and buy a welding unit.
I'll second that. I remember just enough of the welding I learned in high school to get parts joined, but you wouldn't want to look at them :D Maybe I'll see if I can get into one down here sometime this year.

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest options are either a Arc Welder or Stick Welder, might be more difficult to do more complicated welding with. You can buy a Flux Core Welder, like a Mig welder but with no gas and is easier than a Arc welder but harder than a traditional mig since it starts to weld when the wire hits the surface like a arc welder does. Then you have the mig welder which uses wire and gas too weld, and it by far the easiest to use but probably is very appropriate to bring on the trail with you because of gas. So if you want a welder to do projects at home I say go Mig, But if you want a welder too go with you on the trail I would go with a Flux core welder.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Flux core welder that converts to gas MIG at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. I bought it to practice on and self learn welding. It was pretty easy to pick up on, and used it to build my own motorcycle exhaust. I would never use it for a roll cage though. For that I think I'd have a pro TIG weld it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk welding. Who is welding?

Best thing to do is to buy one and practice. You can save alot of money by making your own sliders and such. Its kinda fun too.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea go out and practice with a cheap one. I'm sure you can spend tons on a cl*** and stuff but if you just plan to putz around with it yourself then buy a cheaper one. You may like it, which would then make sense to take a course.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend an Lincoln Arc Welder, you can pick one up for $270, and it will give you stronger welds than a MIG although its a little harder to learn on youll be better off in the long run

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i learned to weld on a lincoln arc. i started by going to the scrap yard where i picked up some scrap pieces. I then just started welding stuff together to get the hang of it

demon

Reaction score
you want a mig welder .they sell lincoln welders at home depot that work great but get one that you can use gas with ,not a flux core .it will never look perfect with flux core .use co2/argon mix for the gas .this is by far the easiest way to weld .stick welding is just pointless if you are going to be doing some body repair and flux core will leave flux under the body work you will be doing.as far as strenth ,practicly every part you can by is mig weded never stick welded.some stuff is tig welded but this is much more difficult and take a lot of practice to get good .Ive been a fabricator for 20 years.I tig weld most of the time building race cars but I mig a lot when I have to weld on the body or unibody frame rails a lot because they are ussually galvinized and mig welding just works better for this.your best bet is to get somebody to show you how to weld but if you cant let me know i'll help the best I can

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
you want a mig welder .they sell lincoln welders at home depot that work great but get one that you can use gas with ,not a flux core .it will never look perfect with flux core .use co2/argon mix for the gas .this is by far the easiest way to weld .stick welding is just pointless if you are going to be doing some body repair and flux core will leave flux under the body work you will be doing.as far as strenth ,practicly every part you can by is mig weded never stick welded.some stuff is tig welded but this is much more difficult and take a lot of practice to get good .Ive been a fabricator for 20 years.I tig weld most of the time building race cars but I mig a lot when I have to weld on the body or unibody frame rails a lot because they are ussually galvinized and mig welding just works better for this.your best bet is to get somebody to show you how to weld but if you cant let me know i'll help the best I can

Good advice... Practice practice practice... Then when you think you got it right, Practice practice practice makes perfect.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I can remodel any part of a house, been workin on cars for years and brag that I'm a well rounded guy, but welding is just something I never thought I would use, but my girlfriends father owns a machine shop, and I'm sure would show me whatever I need. Just would like something to do out of my own garage, and on my own time. Thanks for all the great advice!

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arc you need to 'start' and then move over to the spot you want to weld. Meanwhile the thing is on fire, melting everything except where you want it. Bodywork is imposible to weld with arc, the material is way to thin and you'll burn a hole in it.

actually when I learned to arc weld we learned how to strike a ark off a flat surface so you can start right where you want to weld it just takes practice.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
If you go with a mig welder like the Lincoln, then you will have to practice with diffrent thickness metal and the wire feed speed. I have welded for years and the mig is the way to go for lighter metals. Also, as someone stated, you can add the gas for better welds. But if you are just going to stick sheet metal together for bodywork....then definatley the Mig.

Look for the most amperage since this will give you the penetration for heavier gage metals. But don't cheap out on the price, its worth the extra bucks to get a good welder with future upgrade options.;)

Last edited:

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hobart 140. Took one community college welding class years ago. The wire feed is great because you can weld some pretty thin stuff and also can weld up to a 1/4 inch. With a bottle of inert gas you can lay down some pretty welds with some practice. Plug it into a 30 amp 110 outlet but I have gotten away with less( for thinner material and short welds. Spent like 500 but it'll be in my will for my kid! I bought a few cheapo welders in the past but you know the old saying, you get what you pay for and I think that applies to welders. http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/