anyone ever do a seat swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to swap out the front driver and passenger seats for something a bit more comfortable, adjustable, and supportive, something with a reclining back, adjustable seat height and tilt, adjustable lumbar support and moderate side bolstering. i have looked at seats from subarus (an 02 wrx in particular) and vws (recaros from a gti would be awesome). i was just curious to see if anyone on here has done a seat swap? if so what seats did you throw in and were there any major hurdles?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update on this project:

i've purchased the seats and brackets, the drivers seat is installed. i will be installing the passenger seat tonight. for anyone who has a liberty with the passenger weight sensor and wants to do a seat swap there are some extra steps that need to be taken and a few things you will need. i will be doing a write up on the seat swap. heres what i have so far:

seats: Corbeau: GTS II (in balck cloth)
brackets: from corbeau e1500f and e1501f
lumbar support: corbeau 21004
hog ring pliers: Straight Hog Ring Pliers
and hog rings: from either tractor supply or an upholstery shop
also a 2'x2' sheet of louan and a roll of duct tape

the weight sensor is a hydrostatic design, (its a pad filled with liquid that gets pressurized when a load is applied), therefore it needs a flat rigid surface to be mounted to. ill post the rest of the write up later in the how to section.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the guys who used to live nearby installed a set of the Corbeau in his back in 07 or 08, they ride real nice
He did a write up on LOST I think back then

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like i said the drivers side is installed and its made the jeep a dream to sit in, ill either fab up some adapters for more leg room or buy them but they're like 120 per seat. i tried searching on lost and couldnt find anything as far as the passenger weight sensor is concerned but either way ill do a write up and a set of instructions as a pdf in case someone wants them in the future.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sean150 was the one that installed them
I helped him some getting them both in.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found the thread from when he swapped his seats, not really a how to. but i have my plan of attack thought out and ill be getting it done tonight. I hope i dont have to get the weight sensor recalibrated.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what im thinking too, like i said i know how i will be mounting it to the new seat the only obstacle left now is getting it out of the old seat, which shouldnt be too bad

jcoreyw

Reaction score
What was the resulting seat height (i.e. higher, lower, or same as factory)?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the corbeaus were great to sit in but a little narrow and an extreme pain in the a** to get in and out of in the jeep, i just put my stock seats back in and the corbeaus are now mancave furniture. my advice to you if you are looking for aftermarket seats would be to try before you buy. the corbeau cushions are rigid and break down fairly quickly, the moabs by corbeau would be a better choice for a lifted jeep. and to answer your original question: the corbeaus were a little bit higher than the stock seats.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to put a set of ProMaster seats in the KJ, having sat in a few they're exactly what I want in a seat, the only hurdles would be to get the air bag sensors to hook up etc... and of course get some beige seat covers that don't look tacky.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to put a set of ProMaster seats in the KJ, having sat in a few they're exactly what I want in a seat, the only hurdles would be to get the air bag sensors to hook up etc... and of course get some beige seat covers that don't look tacky.

the passenger side airbag sensor is an easy swap. once the stock seat is removed you have to unbolt the seat back from the bottom (leave the reclining hinges mounted to the bottom), then you take off the seat bottom upholstery (it is held in place by a plastic groove strip that clips onto the seat mounting bracket) pull the cushion out of the way and then you have access to the sensor's load pad (translucent plastic material filled with liquid), the pad is held in place by 2 push pins toward the front of the seat, pop those out, disconnect the wire from the plug going into the sensor and pull the pad off of the bracket, there are 2 layers of backing material under the pad, one is a blue plastic sheet and the other looks like matting for under the carpet, take both of these layers out with the sensor pad. for installing the pad in the new seat you may need a set of hog ring pliers and some hog rings (pliers available at harbor freight for like 7 bucks and rings at an upholstery shop, if you don't have a shop near you, tractor supply has them) i cut a sheet of luoan to the size and shape that would fit in the aftermarket seat bottom drilled the 2 holes for the push pins and a slot for the connector to pass through, it worked great for 2 years.