Any way to remove slack in throttle cable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a fair amount of slack in my throttle cable where it meets the throttle body. Is there any way to tighten it up? The throttle response has been off for a while, so I was wondering if that might be the cause.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to tighten mine and checked it one day. it is held tight by the pedal, any play that you get at the throttle is moving the pedal. Its hard to describe but basically the cable is held tight by gravity holding the pedal. Pull the slack at your throttle and the pedal will move. I know its not a good explaination but.... not adjustable.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose Throttle Cable Help!

I am going to try and revive this a bit more for my own understanding. If anyone has anymore knowledge on this please let me know. I have been experiencing issues with throttle response and I have done a few changes to my ol' 03 sport. Just installed a new TPS which its hard to tell if that did the trick, sometimes it seems as if it has and other times not.

I have noticed a lot of slack in the throttle cable. Now I know from the explanation above that it is directly effected by the throttle pedal ( :p ) but shouldn't it keep the throttle cable taut? Wouldn't time, wear, and tear have an effect on this? I am just looking for any possibility of "adjusting" it or perhaps maybe something with the pedal in order that it keeps proper tension on the cable. Thoughts? Thanks all!

-J

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 4 big zip ties on my cable. I pulled slack out down at my pedal and put the zip ties on the cable between the pedal and end of cable. It improved my throttle response so much. I used to have to put it to the floor almost to pass some one... Not anymore lol

Jeepinkj

Reaction score
I have the same issue and put two new tps sensors in so far and still no fix

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 4 big zip ties on my cable. I pulled slack out down at my pedal and put the zip ties on the cable between the pedal and end of cable. It improved my throttle response so much. I used to have to put it to the floor almost to pass some one... Not anymore lol

Is there any chance you could send me a few pics of the placement of the zip ties so I can try and replicate this? I would light to try and get out all of the slack and improve my throttle response. It seems to have improved a little with the new TPS. Thank you.

-J

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh I are. Stacking zip ties to act as spacers. Thank you for the picture.

-J

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bend the upper end of the pedal arm to take up slack. only way to do it. It's possible that it's bent and allowed for slack, if you're always on the skinny pedal.

I've had numerous XJ's and MJ's with the same issue, and that's what it turned out to be. they're similarly designed, so I imagine that they could have similar results.

Latest posts

Members online