any one have a grill gaurd ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you like it, where did you get it , how does it mount?
looking for any feedback i can get .
I had a deer run out in front of me this morning on my way to work . the deer lost the battle.
but my KJ wheres the scares of battle as well.:favorites68:
dent in my hood, broke my turn signal, the head light is loose, bent the fender and popped the flair off . and now my power door locks won't work right.
when i unlock them they lock themselves back up .a real pain in the ass.:emotions122:

my thought is if I had a grill gaurd on the damage would be far less extensive.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ARB bumper would help with Deer
Those thin walled ones you buy would and do cause more damage than what they save. For looks only.
My ARB has ate 4 Deer and a Toyota Camry so far, all smaller females ( the Deer) but not one dent

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about you close encounter with the deer. Got any photos of the jeep ad it's consequences?
ARB is the best!!! agreed x 300.
The brush guards are available from a few sources of which include Weston, Manik,etc.
Check the for sale section in this forum, I think I remember some for sale in there.
recently someone else just took one off too.
They normally mount through the tow hooks, some have other re-enforcing locations.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Manik, that I only bought because I found it on craigslist for $90 with the mounting hardware, and steel tail light covers. I really think your better off without it or with a real bumper like a ARB like Tom said,
It not very effective except for maybe a small deer, or a Kia :happy175:

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a westin. it was already on my kj when i bought it. it mounts onto brackets that go there the factory tow hooks would go. it wont protect against an impact with a deer but atleast it looks pretty.lol i totally agree that arb is the best but its kinda expensive.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering having a local fabrication shop make one for me,
so it will flow with the lines of the jeep as well as protect it. I'm thinking grill gaurd with headlight surrounds as well. maybe even an integrated skid plate . what do you think?:shrug:

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deer warning sirens

A lot of speculation whether these work, but I haven't hit a deer with my trucks/jeep nor has my wife's vehicle and I wondered back when even if I came out of the woods during season reeking of deer attractant... but hey four bucks might save you from one big buck. (We have however hit several turkeys now which seem to be everywhere and just keep getting bigger - nasty cowl smashers - good excuse for a lift so you can clear their big bodies heheh :893Chainsaw-Smilie- )

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/8320269-deer-warning

Dartmouth store might be a bit out of your way but they rock for missing parts, fasteners, tools etc... so make a stop worth your while. I have seen these sirens at Canadian Tire too but couldn't find a link.

I agree with the crew here that an ARB would probably be the best bet - just watch their "kangaroo proof" drop test videos on the site - sold me... but if I see a kangaroo on the road I think we have bigger problems than bull bars :party52: :smokin:

If you're going for looks on the cheap, my neighbour has a Chinese knockoff bar with chrome headlight surrounds on his truck he got for $150 on ebay - it looks really cool but not sure what kind of damage it would sustain. Looked and found a similar one first search:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260709421117&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Try to keep the beasts in the bush for us hunters!

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very hard but possible to fab one up that really looks good. ARB has done pretty well. If your having a qualified fab shop do it, they can do it but the time that goes into it will make it very expensive. It boils down to the hourly rate. Or the fab guy thinking he just has to weld up what he's got because it will pass for a customer. It's an art. Incorporating a skid would be possible but don't make it so you have to remove your bumber to see diff, engine, steering, etc.
I'm eyeballing an ARB
You could start with the ARB and add what you want but I think that would wind up looking like and being a hack job.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count your blessings. Even the best bull bar can't stop a determined doe. My mom had one run out from the side and jump onto the windshield of her 2010 KK as she was driving 40 mph. Luckily, only the deer was totaled. The repair bill is currently around eight grand; it should be done some time this week. Thank God she was alright.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep. it's now alive and kicking. the only thing I didn't replace is grill guard, which proof itself useless.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I smacked a deer about a month a go. I hit the brakes hard, and he squatted down. I managed to roll him up on the hood, before he landed on his feet and took off running. Man I love the brakes this thing has. Anyway I only managed to break the clips that hold the flare on, and a small scratch in the middle of the hood. Pretty damn lucky I'd say. The very next night, a guy in a 3/4 ton Dodge smacked a deer right in front of me 30 yards from the. No real damage to the pick-up, but that little buck (same one I'm sure) isn't going to be causing anymore undue tire wear in my neck of the woods.
Needless to say I'd like to find a grill gaurd aswell, but I don't want to replace the whole front bumper assembly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing that will help with Deer or Toyota Camrys is an ARB or similar aftermarket replacement bumper
grill guards are like wrapping the front in tin foil hit anything at all and they fold up and do more damage than what normally would be done without.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually the Dartmouth store is only about 2-2 1/2 hours from where I live , so a nice road trip:party52:
after much consideration I'm going to wait till I can afford an ARB do it right do it once . oh and no prob keeping the Deer in the bush I prefer them on my plate in stead of my grill :happy175::happy175::happy175:

A lot of speculation whether these work, but I haven't hit a deer with my trucks/jeep nor has my wife's vehicle and I wondered back when even if I came out of the woods during season reeking of deer attractant... but hey four bucks might save you from one big buck. (We have however hit several turkeys now which seem to be everywhere and just keep getting bigger - nasty cowl smashers - good excuse for a lift so you can clear their big bodies heheh :893Chainsaw-Smilie- )

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/miscellaneous-surplus/8320269-deer-warning

Dartmouth store might be a bit out of your way but they rock for missing parts, fasteners, tools etc... so make a stop worth your while. I have seen these sirens at Canadian Tire too but couldn't find a link.

I agree with the crew here that an ARB would probably be the best bet - just watch their "kangaroo proof" drop test videos on the site - sold me... but if I see a kangaroo on the road I think we have bigger problems than bull bars :party52: :smokin:

If you're going for looks on the cheap, my neighbour has a Chinese knockoff bar with chrome headlight surrounds on his truck he got for $150 on ebay - it looks really cool but not sure what kind of damage it would sustain. Looked and found a similar one first search:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260709421117&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Try to keep the beasts in the bush for us hunters!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB bumper would help with Deer
Those thin walled ones you buy would and do cause more damage than what they save. For looks only.
My ARB has ate 4 Deer and a Toyota Camry so far, all smaller females ( the Deer) but not one dent

ARB bumpers, killing deer & kangaroos since 1975 :happy107: badgers too :badger_1:
Around here we have moose on the road, even an ARB bumper won't help.

Another reason for not wanting the brush guard is because it steals you front tow points. Rumor has it the ARB bumper has been discontinued :icon_frown: We'll have to start making our own.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have been eye-balling some of the bumpers available out there... It's about 50/50. Some of them look damn nice and tough, but the rest of them are blocky, unfinished, and generally look like crap. I think I'll wait until next year when I whack my next deer and use the insurance money to buy one of these nice bumpers off one of you guys. It looks like I might have to throw down and try my hand at some rear bumper fabrication. I have some crazy AutoCad skills so if it works out well, I'll be sure to share plans. For the record, I'm an AutoCad Designer currently working as a steel detailer, and I'm willing to do drawings for you if you're willing to share your designs.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone who has installed these have ever been hit by deer.
37887[/ATTACH]"]

I have a pair on the car and Jeep and have been lucky so far.
I once had a moose in the ditch that was about to step onto the roadway, and because of the Animal Alert Whistles, he stayed in the ditch until after I had passed at 70mph.
This was a good day.

Attachments

• BellDeerWarning.jpg
    BellDeerWarning.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0