Another thread on squeaks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started getting a squeak coming from the front of my KJ about one week after I installed my RRO Combo (the same on both sides). The first thing I did was grease the front sway bar, but that didn't help at all. Today I "forced" a friend to come over so I could get underneath the front while he pushed up and down on my KJ (to cause the evil squeak). This is where it gets weird; it sounds like a bushing-type squeak but, from what we could tell, it is coming from the top of the strut. My best guess, if the strut is indeed the source, is that the spring is squeaking against the upper isolator, now that everything is settled.

I have re-torqued everything three times. I also coated the upper isolator and spring with some lithium grease (to see if it works its way in there).

Anyone experience this? Should I just chalk this up to something I will have to live with? Thanks in advance.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Mine has just started to squeak this week, so I will be investigating. If I find out where mine is squeaking I'll let you know.

Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some follow-up:

A few days after spraying white lithium grease around the top of the strut assembly and the noises are 90 percent gone. I guess that tells me that I was right about the source of the noise. It still seems like a weird place for such a loud noise to originate. I'll post again if I learn any more.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
andersonbc said:
Some follow-up:

A few days after spraying white lithium grease around the top of the strut assembly and the noises are 90 percent gone. I guess that tells me that I was right about the source of the noise. It still seems like a weird place for such a loud noise to originate. I'll post again if I learn any more.

Alright, I'll put some up there too. Maybe that's where my problem is.

Thanks.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well it turned out to be on the top of the strut assembly... I wonder what it would be rubbing on up there?

I was able to determine the location, by rocking it back and forth.

Problem is now fixed.

Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it still seems odd to me. To be honest, I'm glad it happened to someone else too :)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Doh!! It came back today. Looks like I'll have to go in again with more grease.

What location did you spray on the strut?

Thanks
Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saturated the spot where the spring and the upper isolator meet (from the inside too). When my KJ was rocked up and down I could feel the most vibration from there (by moving my hand around all of the suspension components).

Hope this helps...