Another Oil Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading some threads, I see references to oil and many seem to vary with regards to grade. My owner's manual says 5W-20 and so does the oil cap so that's what I bought. However, why is everyone else using different grades like 5W-30 and such? Better? Worse? Makes you feel warm and fuzzy?

2003KJ

Reaction score
After reading some threads, I see references to oil and many seem to vary with regards to grade. My owner's manual says 5W-20 and so does the oil cap so that's what I bought. However, why is everyone else using different grades like 5W-30 and such? Better? Worse? Makes you feel warm and fuzzy?

Personally, it's all about preference and climate. I've used 10W-30 in all vehicles i've owned with no problems. Personally, I think that something like a 5W-20 or a 5W-30 is a bit too thin for the area i'm in during the summer. I've thought about going to 5W-30 in the winter, and back to 10W-30 in the summer, but the way our winter's have been lately...it's 80* one day, and the next it's 8*.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they want 5w-20 in it to get better mileage. Weather or not 5w-20 will protect the engine like it should, idk. I do know when the 3.7 was first made they said to use 10w-30 and 5w-30 depending on the climate you live in.

They may have started using different bearings in the 3.7 which is why they want 5w-20 now, heck if I know.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the '07 KJ's have the stated 5w-20 oil rating,the '02-'06's recommend 5w30.Many newer vehicles have been going to 5w-20 for mpg reasons but I'll take the 0.0000000000000000000001% difference and use the 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer.But my warrenty is long gone and you must use the recommended oil wieght to have the warrenty honored if something happens to the engine,they will take a oil sample and can tell if you have the wrong weight of oil and bye-bye warrenty on the engine.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the '07 KJ's have the stated 5w-20 oil rating,the '02-'06's recommend 5w30.Many newer vehicles have been going to 5w-20 for mpg reasons but I'll take the 0.0000000000000000000001% difference and use the 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer.But my warrenty is long gone and you must use the recommended oil wieght to have the warrenty honored if something happens to the engine,they will take a oil sample and can tell if you have the wrong weight of oil and bye-bye warrenty on the engine.

tjkj......agree 100%........but I wonder if they did something internally to the 3.7 with the 07 MY to make it ok to run 5w20 oil??? That is thin oil.

My 05 owners manual calls for 5w30 preferred (10w30 ok) and I just use 5w30.

Everyone should run what their owners manual says. It appears it is different for different MY.

Dave

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but I wonder if they did something internally to the 3.7 with the 07 MY to make it ok to run 5w20 oil???
Nope,same engine besides the drive-by-wire TB.Just using water to to lesson the drag on the oil pump for MPG's for that 0.000000000000000001% gain in MPG's.

I personnally would rather use 15w-50 oil,I like oil pressure,the more the better.Ideally would like 10psi for every 1000rpm min.But there are ways to overcome the effects of low engine oil pressure,after a long/hard drive when coming to stoplight shift into "N" until it turns green(better for the auto ****** also),allow a few min of cooldown time before turning off a hot engine,and always use a good synthetic oil and filter and change every 3000 miles.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Nope,same engine besides the drive-by-wire TB.Just using water to to lesson the drag on the oil pump for MPG's for that 0.000000000000000001% gain in MPG's.

I personnally would rather use 15w-50 oil,I like oil pressure,the more the better.Ideally would like 10psi for every 1000rpm min.But there are ways to overcome the effects of low engine oil pressure,after a long/hard drive when coming to stoplight shift into "N" until it turns green(better for the auto ****** also),allow a few min of cooldown time before turning off a hot engine,and always use a good synthetic oil and filter and change every 3000 miles.

10psi/1k RPM?
My Mini has 55psi at idle! 75-85psi when I got my foot into her!
I'm thinking of adding a "T" fitting and plumbing in an oil pressure/temperature gauge to the kj, but where? "A" pillar or above the centre a/c ducts?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive started doing the same thing that tjkj does. This past oil changed I switched to 5w-30 and its the first time Ive ever used that weight. I usually use 10w-30 year around but now Im only going to use that in the summer.

Also, tjkj, if the oil pressure is high that doesnt always mean the engine is being lubricated more does it? Think of a water hose with a kink in it. On one side of the kink, the pressure will be high but on the other side it will be low. Maybe the kj just has a high flow of oil which cuts down on the pressure. Just throwing an idea out, idk how the oil flows in the 3.7. :)

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt realize some called for 5w20

I have been using 5w30, would like to be even thicker but I dont know this engine well enough to be switching around.

Rush345

Reaction score
First try going to Amsoil.com and look at the application guide it will list grades of oils fluids ect, ect,. as for me for the last 8 years I've used Amsoils 0W-30. But I've been using Amsoil since 1977 and a Dealer since then I'm not in it for the money I just wanted to get a discount on the best synthetic oil made. :) ;) :cool: