Another noise diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I think I got problems with the unit and I wanted to see if anyone here had any good suggestions...

Yesterday I had a really loud grinding/abrasive noise develop out of nowhere and it has me concerned to the point where I've parked the Jeep until I can fix the problem. It's LOUD. Like, so loud you can't hear the radio over it (unless you crank it).

The noise appears almost as soon as you start moving, like around 10 mph. It's a loud grind that can be felt in the floorboards and in the wheel, and every once in a while, you can hear a metallic scrape and an occasional BANG or CLANK from outside the Jeep. When those BANGS and CLANKS are heard, the steering wheel twitches and 'grabs', like when you hit a dry spot in the pavement while driving in 4wd. My first thought was that the 4wd had not disengaged completely the last time I used it, but I don't know if that's really a possibility with a lever actuated t-case. The lever is back in 2wd and the light is off (and I can kick the rear end loose on slick surfaces). My second thought was a wheel bearing, but since the noise deveolped so suddenly, I'm not sure about that idea either. I've had my LBJ's done about 6 or 7 months ago. They look ok. UBJ's may be bad, have't checked them. My brakes are going south, was planning to do them soon - but they've been bad for awhile and this noise just appeared yesterday.

The noise stays the same regardless of throttle input. Seems to get louder in right turns and somewhat quieter in left turns. Noise stays the same moving in gear vs. coasting in neutral (5 speed). Noise stays the same when brakes applied or not applied.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first jack up 1 tire at a time and spin each wheel to see closer what the noise could be, Years ago I had a caliper come lose causing big noise..

dune_cowboy

Reaction score
Hi Prospect62

Have a look at your propshift CB joints. Sounds like the same noise that I had a few weeks ago and they traced it to the back CB joint. They had none in stock (15 to 20 day wait) so I end up having to buying a full propshift .

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas so far guys. If it's a CV shaft or joint, I can deal with that. But I'd rather it be brake related because I was going to replace those anyway!\\:D/

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, tore it apart. Brakes bad, but not the main cause of the noise. When I spin the driver side hub, the CV shaft seems to be making a clicking or a noise like theres a pebble in the boot closest to the wheel. I absolutley cannot tell if it's coming from that boot area or the wheel bearing though. I could not find any holes in ANY of the boots and there was no grease anywhere.

Also, I noticed that my outer tie rod ends are shot, theres water coming out of the boots. My upper and lower ball joints are toast as well. Passenger side wheel bearing appears to be shot because if I grab the tire at the 9 and 3 position, I can move it left to right pretty good. Driver side does not do this.

So...brakes, outer tie rod ends, UBJs, LBJs, wheel bearings and maybe CV shafts. Anyone want to come help?

PS - Does anyone think it could be my front differential gone bad??

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious about the time frame.......but when did you do your lift? 6months ago? 1 Year? 2 Years? I'm just wondering if the lift has had a combined negative effect on the front suspension and driveline?

I think you should pull that prop shaft and check the cv joint.I'll bet it won't feel too good when you flex it by hand outta the truck, probably little pieces floating around in there. The joint could have came apart inside the boot because of the angle the lift puts on it. I've seen pics of these shafts after lifts, and man there is a steep angle on the cv joint after lift is done.

Something to think about.

Last edited:

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 months. I'm sure the lift and tires were a factor. Ah well.

Yeah both CV shafts will be replaced, along with both wheel bearings and brakes. I'm sure that'll cure my grinding noise. Down the road, when I get more time and money, I'll fix the ball joints, tie rod ends and struts.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The balljoints would be affected and bushings but the rest most likely wasn't due to the lift.I have had my lift for 4 years and wheel it hard and drive it even harder,still have the factory hub bearings,CV shafts,inner/outer tie rod ends and they are still tight and in great shape.My LCA bushings(all 3) where shot after 3 years(with the lift),replaced the LCA's and I'm still trucking with no problems.I have Al's UCA's and MOOG LBJ's so that is different from you.Oh and I have had 265/75's on steel rims(90lbs each) on since I installed the lift also(the rims have 4.5" BS also).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats alot of stuff to go wrong at once. You in alot of mud and water often?

I dont believe the lift had anything to do with any of that. It will make the cv joints wear out alittle quicker but not that quick. Ball-Joints are just known to be junk so thats not a surprise.

I would check that front driveline like kj924 said before I replaced all that. If the balljoints and tie-rods ends are bad I would replace those before anything.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was taking apart my tie rods and in the process of trying to loosen the nut I think i broke my steering wheel anti-theft lock. You know, when the key isn't in the ignition and you try to turn the wheel it locks? LOL...mine doesn't lock anymore. I must have broke something while wrenching on that tie rod...the knuckle did turn a bit. The saga continues...got my parts in and hopefully finishing it up tomorrow.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case anyone cares or perhaps for the benefit future troubleshooters...

It was the driver side wheel bearing/hub assembly. Have a great day. nana.gif