Another Nitrogen in Tires Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
33 is for the size 215 tires, that's what my door sticker says. It doesn't even list 235 pressure. I also run 35 or 36.

I'm stock, with crapyears - i take it raising the pressure doesn't help grip too much, or is that just when you go over the top, like 40 or so?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm stock, with crapyears - i take it raising the pressure doesn't help grip too much, or is that just when you go over the top, like 40 or so?
You jump to over 40 in the stock goodyears and your going to loose traction by making the tire taller and putting less of the tread in contact with the road.Better to lower the psi to 28-30 for better traction on-road without much accelerated tire wear.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You jump to over 40 in the stock goodyears and your going to loose traction by making the tire taller and putting less of the tread in contact with the road.Better to lower the psi to 28-30 for better traction on-road without much accelerated tire wear.

All the way down to 30???

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory recommended psi is 33 so 30 is not that much lower.

ok, never really played around with tyre pressus before. would there not be slightly increased wear due to bunching of the sidewzlls? and could you use 30 on the motorway quite happily? also what psi would you recommend for driving on sand?thanks

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, never really played around with tyre pressus before. would there not be slightly increased wear due to bunching of the sidewzlls? and could you use 30 on the motorway quite happily? also what psi would you recommend for driving on sand?thanks
Yes the tires will wear a little faster but the stock goodyears don't get that great of mileage anyway.30psi you would be fine for driving on the road(3psi is not that much),I've driven 50+ miles at 12psi through the mountains with no problems before.As for sand with the OEM tires I would go down to 18psi,don't go lower the OEM tires can't support the KJ under that for to long(big risk of blowing a bead).The OEM tires are passenger car tires so getting a set of good LT(lite truck) tires will increase on-road traction and offroad capibility even by just getting A/T tires.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the tires will wear a little faster but the stock goodyears don't get that great of mileage anyway.30psi you would be fine for driving on the road(3psi is not that much),I've driven 50+ miles at 12psi through the mountains with no problems before.As for sand with the OEM tires I would go down to 18psi,don't go lower the OEM tires can't support the KJ under that for to long(big risk of blowing a bead).The OEM tires are passenger car tires so getting a set of good LT(lite truck) tires will increase on-road traction and offroad capibility even by just getting A/T tires.

Cool, thanks for the advice :)