Another Lift Kit Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ'S KJ

Reaction score
So I really hate to do this but I'm starting a new lift kit thread.cryinghard.gif So first let me tell you want I want to do in lifting my jeep. I'm not a ******** off roader and when I go off roading its more mudding. I also want the lift as aesthetic reason so I don't need anything thats really ******** but i want something that will do its job. From what I've read, is that OME stuff is good when I looked at their site they don't have a pre-assembled kit for the KJ and I don't know what parts to put together if that makes sense. If someone would take the time to assemble a kit from OME for me that would greatly appreciated. I also saw a kit http://www.rocky-road.com/kjsus.html on rocky road, the "RockFather 1" that is made up of OME parts and from what I've read on that site seems good for me. If anybody has any other suggestions on a good lift for me it will be appreciated. If you need any more info please ask.
Thanks for your time!(cool)

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run away from rocky road as fast as you can,not a good place to shop.

Just get the FrankinLift and be done with it,the front strut assemblies come pre-assembled making install a snap.Might as well get the JBA UCA's to make sure you get back into alignment and get a better UCA compared to the OEM UCA's.

Rancho struts/shocks or OME struts/shocks are both good,though I vote for the Rancho's for a better ride(not mushy like the OME).

AJ'S KJ

Reaction score
I assume UCA stands for Upper Control Arm?!? Yeah that was my next question will I need new A-arms. I've also read that a lift will destroy the stock a-arms so new ones is a good idea.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The full coil lift you are talking about is from Rusty's right?
Yes,below is some of the available coils and there spring rates.

OME HD coils(927's front)=400lbs
OME meduim coils=375lbs
OME light's=350lbs
OME CRD coils(790's)=500lbs

Rusty's coils=310lbs

OEM coils(gas)=300-320lbs(depends on option packages)
OEM coils(CRD)=410lbs

SkyJacker softride coils=310lbs
SkyJacker non-softride coils=425lbs(only the first 6 months of production kits have these)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youre not a ******** offroader then the franken lift really isnt for you.

All you need for a good mild lift is 4 OME coils and 4 OME shocks. Nothing else is needed. If you want 1.5in of lift get the light duty coils and if you want around 2.5-3" of lift get the HD coils.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If youre not a ******** offroader then the franken lift really isnt for you.

All you need for a good mild lift is 4 OME coils and 4 OME shocks. Nothing else is needed. If you want 1.5in of lift get the light duty coils and if you want around 2.5-3" of lift get the HD coils.
He wants the front strut assemblies already put together,the only lifts available that way is the Frankinlift or JBA's 4" lift.

AJ'S KJ

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all the time you put into helping me! I'm prolly gonna go with the frankenlift cuz I have this problem with always having to have the best stuff and if the frankenlift is the best then that's what I'll do. :D

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys. I appreciate all the time you put into helping me! I'm prolly gonna go with the frankenlift cuz I have this problem with always having to have the best stuff and if the frankenlift is the best then that's what I'll do. :D

Good choice, I recommend getting the Rancho shocks.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He wants the front strut assemblies already put together,the only lifts available that way is the Frankinlift or JBA's 4" lift.

What are the long-term effects of 4" of lift on the front CV joints?

I am saving my $ for a lift too, and Frankenlift sounds awesome, but am concerened about that much lift and its effects on the front drivetrain....

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're curious about a Frankenlift, read Frankenlift's website. The Frankenlift is only 2.5" of lift. If you get more than that, it just means your previous suspension was sagging below stock. ALSO, lift should be measured at the pinch weld since not all fender flares are created equal.

I'm hoping I can get a Frankenlift by December of this year...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're curious about a Frankenlift, read Frankenlift's website. The Frankenlift is only 2.5" of lift. If you get more than that, it just means your previous suspension was sagging below stock. ALSO, lift should be measured at the pinch weld since not all fender flares are created equal.

I'm hoping I can get a Frankenlift by December of this year...
The Frankinlift will net you over 3.5" of front lift,installed a Frankinlift on a new KJ(less then 1 year old) and it got over 3.5" of lift.

qbrackenQuote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

What are the long-term effects of 4" of lift on the front CV joints?

I am saving my $ for a lift too, and Frankenlift sounds awesome, but am concerened about that much lift and its effects on the front drivetrain....
The JBA 4" lift is more like a 3.5" lift,I sit higher in my KJ then the JBA 4" lifted KJ,I have 3.75" of lift.It was over 5.5" of lift for the JBA 4" lift,but those 450lbs springs where way to much for a KJ,the coils are now 350lbs springs so the front actually moves compared to the non-moving 450lbs springs.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, really? I was under the impression that 2.5" was the maximum you could go above stock, for fear of overstressing the CV joints. Was I misinformed?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, really? I was under the impression that 2.5" was the maximum you could go above stock, for fear of overstressing the CV joints. Was I misinformed?
Yep,they list lifts like the FrankinLift at 2.5" due to Jeeps rules for warrenty.CV's have a operating range,I'm not exactly sure what it is for OEM CV's on the KJ but say it's 75 degrees,well anywhere in that 75 degree range the CV has the same strength,go out of that range is where you get into problems.Above 4" of lift with OEM CV's is about the limit.

Last edited:

jeepmedic46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run away from rocky road as fast as you can,not a good place to shop.

Just get the FrankinLift and be done with it,the front strut assemblies come pre-assembled making install a snap.Might as well get the JBA UCA's to make sure you get back into alignment and get a better UCA compared to the OEM UCA's.

Rancho struts/shocks or OME struts/shocks are both good,though I vote for the Rancho's for a better ride(not mushy like the OME).
Do you have the frankenlift? Wasn't sure if I should go with the frankenlift or skyjacker