Annoying OBD-II issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm stuck in a STUUUPIIID deadlock!

I 've just got myself a PC-based ODBII scanner and analyzer. I'd not name the maker, but it sounds like autoe..... , nice product, a bit overkill actually!

Guess what, the first OBD connector was ... my KJ's of course!!!
Well, retrieval of DTCs went on OK (there was none I knew that), but access to advanced functions like ABS, Advanced Powertrain etc was denyed.
Upon contacting the maker ( super fast response indeed ), I was told that the software is not guaranteed to work with KJs built abroad. :mad:

I really don't want to argue, but the ad says ' domestic ' , didn't mention 'only US built' ... but yes, they are probably right.

The device worked flawlessly with a WJ, a WK and a Trailblazer hah.gif where I got access to almost the whole vehicle ( the three all built here btw).

Also it apparently allows the so much-needed Automatic Transmission Relearn, but I won't try that until I do my ****** filter / fluid maintenance
( funny if it wouldn't work ...). Also I was hoping it could spot the much annoying ABS glitches, among others.

Yeah,I know, like I'm hearing someone say ... 'welcome to the jungle' (of OBD-II).

Thank You all for reading this post. Nice to be here!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check www.autoenginuity.com and got it online from a site that sells 'auto repair manuals'... (FSMs on CD too)

Yes JeepJeepster, it sounded a bit like 'Driver's licence,registration and insurance!' ...
But don't worry, it's ok :)

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys !

Problem solved, or, better still, worked-around...... That's why I'm D.I.Y.MAN :cool:

I entered 2005 instead of 2006 as MY and ..voila' ABS and advanced powertrain were accessible !
Transmission still needs 2006 MY.

But as my KJ's VIN DOES state she's 2006 then any of these ...:

1) they still had plenty of '05 parts so, why bother ... nobody here will ever notice that!

2) KJ's firmware/system needs updates.

3) OBD software is buggy.

In the morning my engine still cranks, doesn't boot up :p