Annoying Beep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 20 seconds after I start the engine it beeps at me. Just one singular loud BEEP. Scares the crap out of me every time. If I put it in gear and get moving before the 20 seconds it wont do it. What is it even complaining about? There are no lights on the dash and seatbelts are on and handbrake off. I dont understand.
Ive only owned a Jeep for 5 days so excuse my lack of knowledge about anything. I only just figured out how to get the fuel cap off - go me! :icon_lol:

vaksanov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bulb might have been taken out to make it look like there is nothing wrong. First test the dash lights by pressing and holding the trip reset button then turning the key to ON position. That will test all the bulbs and gauges so see if one of them doesn't light up. You can also see if it has any codes stored by turning the key ON and Off three times, if there are codes they will show where your mileage shows

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I -think- all lights lit up, its pretty quick and hard to memorise them all. When I clicked on-off 3x it came up with P 1281. So will have to try and find out what that means

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a quick google ive come up with P 1281 being the thermostat, I believe that because the running temp stays quite low on the gauge which I thought was odd.

Would that account for the singular beep I wonder. Will have to put in a new one and find out

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one that has what direction your going and the temperature, I have that. I didnt look at it during this test though

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That should trigger a check engine light, which would chime when it comes on. Maybe someone pulled that light.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So thermostat got changed yesterday, this is what was pulled out of it. No wonder she was running cold. Looks like some tosser cut it apart??
Since fitting new thermo car sounds better, sits in middle of temp gauge and NO ANNOYING BEEP!!

You must be registered for see images attach

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

:shakehead:

How much do you want to bet that it was running hot, and the previous owner decided that instead of spending the $8 for a new part, he'd just fix it with a pair of pliers?

Glad it's fixed!

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More like $50 for a new one, but even still. How tight are some people...
She has been running perfectly and sitting right in the middle mark on the temp gauge so dont know why it would have been running hot?

She is running much better and chewing less fuel now its not cold all the time. Makes me wonder what other dodgy jobs have been done