Intermittent occasional beep, ding, buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Liberty Limited. 154000 miles.

I had started to have an occasional beep or ding from the alert system in the dash or computer several months ago.

I had concluded it was the battery getting old and low and got a new battery. The sound stopped.

There never was any light that I could see. Maybe a light flashed and I didn't see it.

I know there is a battery light an alternator light and I have a leaky tire which frequently, iif low gives me the whole tire light and ding, etc.

But now the ding has returned.

No light again. It only does it once, then nothing else.

I will put a meter on the alternator to test it. It may be a precursor to that going out.

I usually only use the Jeep on weekends and Mondays. But I was in Mexico so I missed a weekend and Monday. So it could be the battery (altho new) was down a bit from not running.

Any ideas as to why it beeps or dings?
dc

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the aux display? Mine dings and posts a message on the display- service due, screenwash low etc.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine occasionally dings when it loses touch with the seatbelt sensor. It’s extremely unpredictable when this will happen, but jiggling the seatbelt buckle always seems to make it go away. The seatbelt light barely flashes on the dash when this happens.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only gives one "ding!" It doesn't continuously do it.

And I have yet to see any light with it. But I may have just missed the flash of a light.

I had more recently thought of the seat belt. It could be that it loses contact and dings once, normal movement or breathing causing it to make contact again and not do it.

Or, it's a tire that is just near enough to too low to ding once.

Or, some type of gremlin or other anomaly. A Chupacabra, maybe.

When I start it up there are 2 or 3 dozen lights that come on to test various systems. Then they all go off, unless the right front tire (until next tire rotation) is low, which then shows a tire light or symbol, lit up, and then where it may give temperature and compass direction instead it gives 4 tire readings, one of which is blinking and showing 29 lbs psi.

Today I started to the store, 8 miles and had nothing. Then, starting out at the store to return I drove about one mile and "ding!" and nothing else.

I'm also thinking it may be alternator going out and less than full charging going on. It had done it before I got a new battery, at that time it was more regularly but nonetheless mysteriously doing it.

With the new battery, it didn't do it for maybe 6 months.

Thanks.

Tomorrow I'm going to try battery voltage overnight, then charging voltage.
dc

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably are since you recently changed batteries, but check the two cables at the battery and make sure they're very clean and tight. Check the other end of the ground cable too.

mateorosi

Reaction score
The occasional beep or ding may indicate a problem with the electrical system, such as low battery voltage or a failing alternator.

Johnm

Reaction score
Check your washer fluid, when it's low enough you'll sometimes get a ding.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have thought the alternator could be going out. But it all checks out good. So I can only wait til it completely quits, I guess.

Thanks

dc

Members online

No members online now.