Anemic backup lights....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there's a higher intensity replacement bulb for the backup lights on a KJ.....?

The stock lights on my Libby suck, I really don't want to mount an outboard light, so if anyone knows of a better bulb please post the make, model number, and a source where I can buy them......I'd appreciate it greatly.....

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
This is the first link Google pumped out!
http://www.caraddons.com/Catalog/subpages/designtech_backupalert.htm
Look around, I'm sure you could find them locally/perhaps less expensively.

These work really well.
Plug and play!
You can even get one with a back-up alert alarm fitted within!
I've had them in EVERY work truck I drove and the really do light up when reversing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem: Rear tail gate dark tint, blocks light big time at night.
The only thing that would really works is two 65-100 watt halogen mounted off roof rack/rail.
Or open the rear gate when reversing. Would be nice to have an auto close glass.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this. I don't know how good it is though. I was thinking about it but never got around to getting one. If you have a hitch and 7 pin wireing connector (like OEM) you can get the adapter and just plug it in.

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm

Just another alternative.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You could of course just use your side view mirrors when backing up!
I've driven enough service vehicles without rear windows and have to rely on side view mirrors to see!
Most States, Provinces, and countries do not allow for dark tint drivers and passengers front windows...
So seeing what is behind you is not that big a deal!
Besides...
That's why all vehicles have 5 mph bumpers!:D
When your Jeep stops abruptly, you know you cannot back up anyfurther!:D

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could of course just use your side view mirrors when backing up!
I've driven enough service vehicles without rear windows and have to rely on side view mirrors to see!
Most States, Provinces, and countries do not allow for dark tint drivers and passengers front windows...
So seeing what is behind you is not that big a deal!
Besides...
That's why all vehicles have 5 mph bumpers!:D
When your Jeep stops abruptly, you know you cannot back up anyfurther!:D

amen.
Everyone should be able to back up their vehicle into a parking spot in less than 15-20 seconds max without having to open the door to look back (I see that way too often. Only Ok when backin up a semi to a loading dock or something)
I make my wife parallel park and back into parking spots with the jeep and actually had her learn the basics with the old f150. That thing was easier to parallel park/back up than the Jeep.

Oh yea, the trailer hitch lights work pretty well if you don't want to install fog lights under the Jeep facing back.

Last edited:

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
amen.
Everyone should be able to back up their vehicle into a parking spot in less than 15-20 seconds max without having to open the door to look back (I see that way too often. Only Ok when backin up a semi to a loading dock or something)
I make my wife parallel park and back into parking spots with the jeep and actually had her learn the basics with the old f150. That thing was easier to parallel park/back up than the Jeep.

Oh yea, the trailer hitch lights work pretty well if you don't want to install fog lights under the Jeep facing back.

You guys are joking....."RIGHT".....

I drive fire apparatus for a living, I also drive 3400 gallon home heating oil tank trucks at my side job, this has nothing to do with the tinted back window, I never turn my head farther then to look at my side view mirrors while backing up, the reverse lights are weak and anemic, they cast next to no light at all, and before anyone insults my intelligence any farther, I have checked to make sure they are still working, they are just weak, and I'd like to find a stronger replacement bulb.
I'm sure you guys had the best of intentions when posting that driver education information, but please fellas, I'm 53 years old, and have been a licensed driver before some of you were even born.....:rolleyes:

A halogen back up bulb is available for 3157-3156. Some even come with available beeper.
Also in Led are:
http://www.getcarnews.com/2010/04/ha...b-single-pack/

Thank you TCLiberty, this was the information I was hoping to get.....

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did they give out liscenses for driving back then?

:D

i agree MOST backup lights from the factory are weak.

As a matter of fact GJ they did, but like telephone numbers in those days it only had a letter and 3 numbers on it.....:p

Advanced Auto had Sylvania extra bright replacement bulbs that have a light blue tint to them, but nothing that was quartz halogen, for 8 bucks I'll try these first to see if it's enough of an improvement. While I was there I did investigate outboard lighting, and they have a couple alternatives that might work since they're small in size and would be relatively easy to install, but again I prefer to not go that route.....

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, surf. Got caught up in the thread and went off having a back window too dark.
I am actually happy with my backup lights, but I am always in the city when I use them and have street lights everywhere.

As far as bulbs go I would say a higher wattage bulb, but I do not know what the lens/housing can take before they melt.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, surf. Got caught up in the thread and went off having a back window too dark.
I am actually happy with my backup lights, but I am always in the city when I use them and have street lights everywhere.

As far as bulbs go I would say a higher wattage bulb, but I do not know what the lens/housing can take before they melt.

No worries brother....

Lens melting was one of my concerns as well, especially since the housing wasn't designed for the heat of a halogen bulb.

edit:....I also followed the link Liberty posted, and found a set of PIAA H.I.D. replacement bulbs that claim to be extremely bright, if these Sylvania bulbs don't cut it I'll have the PIAA bulbs by the 15th to try.....

Last edited:

GoldDog53

Reaction score
I found this. I don't know how good it is though. I was thinking about it but never got around to getting one. If you have a hitch and 7 pin wireing connector (like OEM) you can get the adapter and just plug it in.

http://www.whitenight.com/products.htm

Just another alternative.

Dave

I got one last year and love it, the lights come on in reverse and it also has a switch to turn it on if you're working on the hitch or something.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those beeper bulbs caused some confusion for a friend of mine.. He bought an older truck for hauling junk around and when he backed up he heard that beep... Well he looked everywhere but couldnt figure out where it was coming from... Until one day he noticed no beep and the backup light was burnt out... Mystery solved..

I should put one in the KJ, warn the kids and dogs when im backing up... LOL