Alignment after OME lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Where would one get an alignment for the liberty after you've installed a OME kit? Seems no one around me will do it. (North northeast Ohio)

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firestone does them. Can also buy “lifetime” alignments for your vehicle there.

I’m sure there are other places that will do it. A good mechanic should either be able to do it or know where to take it.

Reaction score
Firestone does them. Can also buy “lifetime” alignments for your vehicle there.

I’m sure there are other places that will do it. A good mechanic should either be able to do it or know where to take it.
I took it to my local firestone and they said they will not/dont align lifted vehicles.

I may just throw it on and see if I can sneak it by em.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be that particular shop. My mom & pop mechanic has “their guy” who does all of their alignments at the local Firestone. They have some sort of arrangement and bring the cars down for alignments. Doing it that way takes longer than bringing it to Firestone directly, but guarantees a good alignment. They have never had any problem with my 4” lift.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Where would one get an alignment for the liberty after you've installed a OME kit? Seems no one around me will do it. (North northeast Ohio)
Can always nip over to Erie, PA.(if you are where I’m thinking of) Due to the state inspection most places do/get done alignments

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of places will not even touch your vehicle as soon as you say lifted
I tred Firestone LOL
After their so called alignment it was running more sideways then andy other way
Also tell them the specs to make sure they get it right

JMichael2006

Reaction score
If you can't find someone straightaway, I would at least set the toe. You can do that yourself without exotic tools. I use quart paint cans standing on the flat of the driveway, in front and behind and outside the tires. I have two Aluminum 2" x 2" I beams (from my racecar days). You can use 4' levels or any other know straight edge, even yard sticks that are straight. Make sure the vehicle and steering wheel are pointed straight ahead. Bridge between the paint cans with the straight edges and push them up against the tire above the bulge on each side. Use a tape measure to check the distance outside to outside of the straight edges. Line the tape up with the front and rear edges of the tires at the horizontal center line (the truck is in the way so close is good). You lengthen or shorten the tie-rods equally left and right until you measure .2 degree's +/- 0.125 degree's (about 1/16" toe in or narrower measurement in front of the tire than the rear). I don't recall the distance, but by example, 78" at the front of the tire and 78 1/16" at the rear of the tire. This will minimize the tire wear until you can find a shop that can do it.

The spec's are
You must be registered for see images attach

JMichael2006

Reaction score
Caster +2.5 left side, +2.75/3.0 right side unless you roads aren't crowned. Keeps it tracking straight without input. Square if roads are flat.
Camber: -.25 to zero.
Toe-in: max of 1/16"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not align a vehicle to the way the roads are
are you always going to drive that same road ? LOL
You set it to the specs for a lifted KJ , period

JMichael2006

Reaction score
I don't know, after 50 years of doing it that way, I haven't had one complaint. Check your road, it is crowned. Every road in the USA is and I have been all over the country. It is a build standard for road construction.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I realize that roads are crowed and I started doing alignments in 1972
So have done a few for sure
BUT YOU MENTIONED CROWNED OR FLAT ROADS
there is no difference in aligning ones

timg

Reaction score
I had a local shop do my alignment when I first got my jeep, already with an OME 1.5 lift. They sourced special cam bolts for the Liberty that allowed more adjustment and were able to get it fairly close to specs. This bolt kit was specifically for lifted Liberties with the original upper control arm, but I don't know anything about it since they sourced it themselves, other than they charged me $90 for it! If you have JBA uppers you probably don't need that kit.

Edit: See my post below for a link to the slotted cam bolt kit the shop used.

I'll point out that the link LibertyTC posted above for the alignment specs of a lifted liberty also suggest non symmetric caster and camber, from M38Bob. Never heard of doing it myself, but I guess it's a preference thing. My camber and caster are symetric, and I will say that the input to the wheel to keep it tracking straight is noticeable at higher speeds, to the point where I first thought they hadn't centered the steering wheel after my alignment.

Last edited:

Offroad Bob

OffroadBob
Reaction score
Good evening all. Those alignment specs… are they right for my 02 that’s getting Bilsteins and OME springs up front ? Supposed to be 2.5 “ lift. Same setup going on rear too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a local shop do my alignment when I first got my jeep, already with an OME 1.5 lift. They sourced special cam bolts for the Liberty that allowed more adjustment and were able to get it fairly close to specs. This bolt kit was specifically for lifted Liberties with the original upper control arm, but I don't know anything about it since they sourced it themselves, other than they charged me $90 for it! If you have JBA uppers you probably don't need that kit.

I'll point out that the link LibertyTC posted above for the alignment specs of a lifted liberty also suggest non symmetric caster and camber, from M38Bob. Never heard of doing it myself, but I guess it's a preference thing. My camber and caster are symetric, and I will say that the input to the wheel to keep it tracking straight is noticeable at higher speeds, to the point where I first thought they hadn't centered the steering wheel after my alignment.
LOL there are NO SPECIAL CAM BOLTS FOR THE KJ
So they got ya , what idiots , 90 bucks for nothing, RRO sells them but they are for a GM pickup not a Liberty
That is why it takes extra effort to steer at higher speeds
You do not need the " special " cam bolts if you have a JBA UCAs or not
BOGAS

Camber and toe = OE spec

Caster anywhere from 2 degrees to 3.5 degrees and no more then 0.5 degrees cross caster.

Before we had aftermarket UCAs from JBA I ran over 3 inches of lift
aligned and no issues, no special cam bolts
after JBA UCAs I ran over 4.5 inches of lift , same alignment specs, no issues

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Good evening all. Those alignment specs… are they right for my 02 that’s getting Bilsteins and OME springs up front ? Supposed to be 2.5 “ lift. Same setup going on rear too.
Yes sort of

HERE are the absolute RIGHT ones
Camber and toe = OE spec

Caster anywhere from 2 degrees to 3.5 degrees and no more then 0.5 degrees cross caster.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online