Alignment after OME lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timg

Reaction score
LOL there are NO SPECIAL CAM BOLTS FOR THE KJ
I guess there are slotted ones :shrug:
Specialty Products 82365 Camber/Caster

On CarID: https://www.carid.com/specialty-products/jeep-liberty-camber-caster-mpn-82365.html
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Products-82365-Camber-Liberty/dp/B00M8GH6QA

I keep all my receipts, this is the product they used back in 2017. The parts cost was actually $75 for all four bolts (two sets), not 90 like I mis-remembered. Not a lot more than the oem cost for 4 bolts.

Using these they got my caster within spec whereas previously they couldn't using the original bolts.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock bolts it looks to me like , nothing different at all
They didn't know what they were doing I bet especially if they thought they had to buy new bolts
We have done over 60 lifts on KJs here at my place , and none of them took anything special, just someone smart running the alignment rack
Plus no matter what the " slot" that the cam bolt alignment end goes in is only so big

Last edited:

timg

Reaction score
LOL, Stock bolts don't have one side machined flat. That's what gives these bolts the extra movement within the slot to get the alignment within specs.

At any rate, if anyone is having trouble getting their front end alignment within specs for camber/caster for whatever reason, I'd try these specialty cam bolts before going to $500 JBA UCAs. Mevotech also seems to make a slotted kit, but I don't have that one (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mev-ms250173). Have over 90,000 miles on the SPC ones though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OH DEAR ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Slotted ones ? LOL
That is the way the stock ones are so when you turn the bolts it turns the washer , they are not special

timg

Reaction score
Oh boy...

Stock (6508907AA) not slotted, knurled press fit or spot welded:
You must be registered for see images attach

Aftermarket, slotted:
You must be registered for see images attach

Clearly the eccentric washer is in a different relative position to the bolt on the aftermarket. The OEM are not slotted and the bolt sits closer to the center of the eccentric washer allowing for less adjustment/movement during rotation. Maybe all the aftermarkets are now slotted this way to get the extra adjustment :shrug:.

Yes, I have a KJ, yes, I have the aftermarket bolts, and yes, the alignment shop was unable to get it aligned to spec with OEM bolts on an OME lift. I'm pretty confident that my tire and alignment shop, that does nothing but tires and alignments, knows how to work their equipment, having performed it thousands of times.

Can we be done with this now?

LOL.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No you can't
I'm done cause I know I am right LOL
Just because a shop does big tires and lifts means nothing to me
I lived in Toledo Ohio area for several years
The local 4x4 shop quit doing lifts etc on Libertys since no one knew how to work on them
They sent them to me
They knew Yotas, Wranglers etc , not libertys

If you look closely at the two bolts you pictured they are the same , only thing different is how the bolt attaches to the washer
NOW and read carefully , some STOCK OEM bolts came the same exact way from Jeep
I have personally seen both types , but washer was same location on both
Now done , my Grandfather told me not to argue with some folks since it just drags ya down to their........................

timg

Reaction score
I'm done cause I know I am right LOL

That tells me everything I need to know about the futility of sharing experiences on this forum that you think are "wrong" (as if the point here is to be right or wrong, versus sharing experience for the benefit of all.)

I'll say it one last time and I don't care whether you think it's "wrong" or not, installation of these aftermarket cam bolt kits allowed my alignment shop to get my jeep into spec, and nothing you say or believe is going to change that fact. The photos speak for themselves on the differences between the OEM bolts that were on my jeep, and the new ones, and my experience on my jeep with my alignment is all that counts to me when it comes to your knowledge in this particularly narrow technical area of Jeep Liberties. Other people reading this can come to their own conclusions and do what they think is best for their situation.

From the get go I knew where this conversation with you was heading because I've read so many of your posts where you have to be "right", denigrated people for having aspirations of trying something new, or railroaded people off the forum when they have a differing opinion from yours. I don't post much for this very reason. If people didn't try new things, we'd still be doing things like grandpa did them wouldn't we? We wouldn't have Iron Rock rear upper and lower control arms from a WK, we wouldn't have JBAs for the front, we'd all be driving around in our stock Liberties counting our blessings that we don't have any problems from some untested aftermarket dodad that makes it non stock. It's a shame because I assume you're on this site to help people realize their dreams and aspirations for their jeeps, like I was, but your refusal to recognize that other people have knowledge, experience and abilities that you don't does a disservice to everyone who visits this forum.

"Just because a shop does big tires and lifts means nothing to me" is an example of your jumping to conclusions and making opinions and statements without all the facts. I never said it was a specialty 4x4 shop. My alignment shop is just a standard old tire and alignment shop servicing every make/model on the road. They do alignments on anything, and it isn't rocket science, just specialized, very precise and expensive equipment. Of course had I said it was a 4x4 shop, the response from you may have been along the lines of "those yahoos don't know anything about Liberty 4x4s". Oh wait, you did say that.

Here's my final perspective for this forum. You've done 60 lifts on Liberties. That's a fair number, sincere congratulations on the success of your shop, it's certainly a lot more than I've done. I've learned things from you by reading here, and from others as well. But 60 Liberties is just 0.006% of all the roughly 950,000 2002-2007 Libertys sold in the US alone. To think that you've seen and done it all when it comes to first gen Liberties is a horribly warped perspective.

And your grandpa was right, which is why I won't be posting here anymore as long as information that you disagree with and experiences that you don't believe is not welcomed. I'll just keep my knowledge, experience and abilities to myself and you can continue to drive away the people that can help you and others on this site.

Sorry, blunt and to the point is all I know.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that there is only so much room in the little box for the cam bolts to fit in
You are not thinking and seeing the right thing
I guess you have to be under there and actually see
Never said views were not welcomed , but if they are not right
The shop in question just did not know or took advantage of you it seem due to what you keep showing regarding bolts are all stock or stock replacements
No matter big box shop or Mom and Pop