Airaid Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, can we get a straight-up answer on this interference engine thing? My understanding (which means a man I've never met before on an internet forum told me) is that the 3.7l IS an interference engine.

Yes, interference?
No, not interference?

If my timing chain(s) breaks, will my engine get all blowed up? If we can't agree, then I'll be forced to start a poll thread.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter, because your timing chain will make noise before it breaks.

So, just don't let it get to that point, and you don't have to worry about it :D

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter, because your timing chain will make noise before it breaks.

So, just don't let it get to that point, and you don't have to worry about it :D

But... how long before it breaks will it make noise? protest.gif

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
jnaut: That's what I was told here as well, that it was an Interference engine, then just recently that it was not. I had said before, I just searched for it, and I did say it was NOT an interference engine.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39245&highlight=interference+engine
trail rated said:
The engine was making a bad knocking noise, it was from the piston hitting the valve. Since the valve is bent, that means these engines are interference engines.

He quoted me saying I thought they were NOT, then I was told by him there, they WERE, so which is it? I want to know as well...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If something that restricts valve travel (IE valve spring or keeper) breaks causing the piston to hit the valve, that does not mean it is an interference engine, because it was obviously not DESIGNED for the valve spring to break.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Again, it shouldn't matter, because the only way you'll really care is if you let that timing chain make noise long enough to lose ALL tension OR allow the cams to get THAT out of sync with the engine.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interference motor or NOT? Anyone?
The 3.7 is not a interference engine.On any engine if the valve spring breaks the valve can contact the piston only from the valve being able to travel beyond it's intended travel.Most timing chain engines are not interference engines that still only run 2 valves per cylinder heads.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
The 3.7 is not a interference engine.On any engine if the valve spring breaks the valve can contact the piston only from the valve being able to travel beyond it's intended travel.Most timing chain engines are not interference engines that still only run 2 valves per cylinder heads.

Right... IF the valve comes loose from retainer clip at the TOP of the spring, or it breaks, then it slides down too far into the cylinder....

That's what I thought, if you have a timing CHAIN, they are usually not interference motors.

What the POINT is, if the chain slips, the piston won't come in contact with any valve at TDC on any stroke, no matter HOW out bad the chain slips, or even if it breaks. So, if the chain breaks while any valve is open FULL, the piston won't hit it, no matter how OUT OF SYNC the cam is with the crank.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The chain won't slip unless you've got bad tensioners/excessive chain stretch

And that won't happen without the aforementioned noise...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I feel like I've got a good answer. And thanks. Y'see, I was told some time ago that the 3.7 was an interference engine and if your timing chain ever broke, you were in a rebuild situation.

However, I also read somewhere that the KJ's timing chain was "designed to last the life of the vehicle". So... now I'm not so paranoid since I'm at 77k miles...

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, I feel like I've got a good answer. And thanks. Y'see, I was told some time ago that the 3.7 was an interference engine and if your timing chain ever broke, you were in a rebuild situation.

However, I also read somewhere that the KJ's timing chain was "designed to last the life of the vehicle". So... now I'm not so paranoid since I'm at 77k miles...

They never are, really... IF well kept and not beat, it can. My Avenger never had the timing belt changed, and that has 150+K miles on it when traded. No oil on it, which is what does THEM in. I got a whole timing belt kit for a 2.5 or 3.0 Mitsubishi engine too, never had to use it.

Latest posts

Members online