Air Helper Springs on a KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonm

Reaction score
I posted this as a response to another thread on "what do you tow with your KK," but since I've got a question at the end that's a little OT, I thought I'd re-post under a more appropriate title, so here goes:
I've got a 20ft camper with a dry weight of 3700lbs (loaded weight unknown, but I know we don't have 1300lbs of crap in the camper, although we do carry a lot of stuff...). Acceleration and stopping with the 3.7 and a basic trailer brake are no problem. The only issue I have is with the size of the camper. When I set my weight distribution hitch to take enough weight off the tongue that it rides mostly level, I get a lot of buffeting and sway when large semis pass on the interstate (some is to be expected, since I'm pulling a 10ft tall sail behind me, but this is excessive), but when I take it down a link and put a little more weight on the tongue it relieves some of the buffeting/sway issues, but causes a good bit of sag and 'bounce' when I hit big seams in the highway or RR crossings (kind of like riding in an old Caddy with worn out shocks, hitting a bump and feeling like one of those bobble head dolls you get at the ballpark for the next 300 yds). I'm thinking of getting some Air Lift helper springs to see if that helps. Anyone got experience with those on a KK? I'm hoping that with those installed, I can leave a little more weight on the tongue without worrying as much about the sag/bounce issues. Does this approach sound reasonable, or am I way off base?

Alternatively, I've thought about getting some beefier springs & shocks, but my it's my wife's daily driver and she has already complained a little bit about the more truck-like ride (as compared to our previous VW Touareg) and I don't want to do anything that would make the ride rougher or raise the ride height (most options I've seen give at least 1.5" of lift) if I don't have to. At least with the air springs, I could leave them at min pressure when we're not towing and she wouldn't notice a difference in the ride or height.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how fast the weight adds up. Take it all loaded over a scale that would be helpful.
Air bags are always nice, not sure it they'd help if your over loaded.
This might just be a short well base tow vehicle problem.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus adding aftermarket springs will not make it ride truck like but actually much better than the soft suspension now on it. There are a couple of other ways also besides bags in the springs

jasonm

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how fast the weight adds up. Take it all loaded over a scale that would be helpful.
Air bags are always nice, not sure it they'd help if your over loaded.
This might just be a short well base tow vehicle problem.

I know some of the problem is the short wheelbase, and I've sort of come to the conclusion that I'll never get rid of all the sway. Another issue is the design/layout of the camper. The only storage space when traveling is either at the far front or far rear of the trailer. Ideally, I'd like to be able to put my heaviest stuff over the two axles, but right now I'm settling for just having most of it forward of the axle, which is fine except that it tends to bias my load so that without the WD hitch, I'd have a LOT of tongue weight.

I've been over the scales once before, not sure exactly what the weight was, but I do remember being well below 5K. Something like 4500, but its been a while. We haven't added anything substantial to our load since then, an EZ-UP tent and some nicer chairs are all I can think of.

Curious about the other post regarding new springs, now, too. Can anyone characterize how the ride improves with better springs? If I change them out, I'll probably switch to the OME medium duty springs. Is the ride noticeably stiffer when you swap these in, or just 'better'?

Really anything that would let me put a bit more weight on the tongue than what I'm doing now would help a good bit. As it stands now, when I set the WD hitch to the point that I eliminate the sag it almost feels like the rear end of the jeep has no weight at all on it (hence the horrible sway when semis pass), but then, like I said, one link down(the smallest adjustment I can make in the other direction), and I'm sagging pretty bad.

Whatever I decide to do, I'll try to report back for the benefit of others who might be towing with their Liberty.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My springs were sagging I went with a 2 inch lift.
Just wanted too:). But I was going to need springs anyway.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Granted I don't have a KK, but front shocks/springs are the same for both and mines always ridden way better with heavier springs than with stock. Its a more controlled feeling, better handling , better ride and no sway . I pull a 6X10 enclosed and also a 5X8 that I can haul more than what you can get in a pickup bed with no issues. Granted its not a camper the size you have but still some weight
But I do have heavier springs and also running Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shocks in the rear to compensate for the weight. ( also have a full steel rear bumper with tire rack and gas can carrier/kilby gas tank skid/70 or so lb of tools/then add spare parts/ straps etc )