air filters & induction kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LLT , I want one of the Grill Intake Units as soon as you work out the kinks on the 02-04's model.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just be careful with that if you are planning on doing any water fording. From the picture, it seems lower than stock and also would be a direct inlet for water through that grille. Other than that, seems like it would definitely make sure it's getting plenty of air.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I made my own ram air intake and use an Amsoil air filter in the stock box. It gained me about 1.5ish MPG. Then I got new wheels and tires and Daystar 2.5" lift and I lost that plus some.

BTW, Now I am making that intake for others that are interested. See this post:

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39547

Thats a impressive piece of kit you made.
What make Rapid prototyping machine do you have?
And if you don't mind me asking, how much money does it sell for?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just be careful with that if you are planning on doing any water fording. From the picture, it seems lower than stock and also would be a direct inlet for water through that grille. Other than that, seems like it would definitely make sure it's getting plenty of air.

Yeah desert, I was thinking of that, but you would have to go through a lot of water to submerge the intake. The higher up it could be mounted, the better, but I looked at mine and it is cramped in there. I guess that is why the factory intake is where it is.

Dave

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What make Rapid prototyping machine do you have?
And if you don't mind me asking, how much money does it sell for?

The printer I am using is a Dimension SST 768 printer. The simplest description of it is that it is a CNC glue gun. It lays down a .010" diameter bead of ABS plastic or soluble support material 1 layer at a time. It draws out the layer at z=0.000 then moves to z=0.010 and draws another layer. After the model is completed printing, I break off as much of the soluble support solution as possible. Then whatever is not broken off dissolves in a soapy water bath at 70 degrees Celsius. Takes an hour or two to dissolve it, depending on how much support is on the part.

There is a good youtube video of the process at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pPvAjwq6qM

Here is the home page of the company that makes the printers:
http://www.dimensionprinting.com/

The machine, water bath to dissolve the support, tax delivery, material, etc that we have cost around $30k a few years ago.

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are right about that. It is much lower than the stock air inlet. But... 99% of most people's driving is going to not be through deep water. If you were to use the airbox adapter that I made, it would be easy to just change back to the stock air inlet before going on a trail that you expect or even think may have high water. The original intake scoop just slides out of the airbox, then the adapter I designed slides in. You could easily go back stock for deep water trails leaving the grill scoop and hose in place, just not connected to the airbox. 2 minute swap.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right about that. It is much lower than the stock air inlet. But... 99% of most people's driving is going to not be through deep water. If you were to use the airbox adapter that I made, it would be easy to just change back to the stock air inlet before going on a trail that you expect or even think may have high water. The original intake scoop just slides out of the airbox, then the adapter I designed slides in. You could easily go back stock for deep water trails leaving the grill scoop and hose in place, just not connected to the airbox. 2 minute swap.

Yeah, you are right that most people on here it will not matter and I didn't realize it would be that easy. I wasn't trying to bash your creation either by the way, it was just something I noticed that I wanted to point out before we got the "hydrolocked my motor, I've seen these go through deeper" thread. :)

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense taken. I didn't think you were bashing. I totally agree and am glad you brought it up. I don't want to see anyone's motor hydro-locked either. But it really is that easy to swap.

Members online