air conditioner problem!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I gotta rant for a min.

to make a bad day even worse, my air conditioning is messed up now. Blowing outside temperature air. Luckily I only have around 3700 on the odi so It'll be in at the stealership next week under warrenty. Seems when bad stuff happens then it happens all in one freakin day. Maybe it's good that it's only 1 day. o well, I still have love for my KJ (Cheers)

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
compressor wasn't kicking on, I turned it off for around 45 min. Came back outside and now it's fine. haven't had a problem with it again (crosses fingers)

I'm still going to take er in anyways to get it checked out to make sure there is no problem.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hmmmm. Could be the compressor itself, or it could be the relay for the compressor. Would definately have it checked at the stealer, warranty item

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be the ac low pressure switch mounted on the accumulator (drier) that monitors the system, if charge is low the compressor will not come on.

Bob

2003KJ

Reaction score
also possible, but on an 05, thats gotta be a helluva leak.....or it wasnt charged fully from the factory.

Gringo Loco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange, I just had the same thing happen to my a/c today. I did the same thing in turning it off for a while and then it worked fine. Mine is also a 2005. Let me know what happens as I am also thinking of taking it in for a check up.

Laters Chris

phantom2

Reaction score
I also have an 05 with the same problem.A/C works fine,I shut it off and it won't turn back on.I wait a short period of time,try it again,it works fine.I will bring it to the dealership and post when I get it back.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually if that happens that means its low in freon and its freezing up, then when u turn it off, it defrosts and works. So, id say u have a small leak and it needs to be recharged.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i took about a 1400 mile trip and didn't have any more problems with it. maybe it could have been the electrical or computer system for the switch.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I'm starting to see a trend here. My wife just called and said the ac in our '05 rennie is acting up. I think even if it starts working again, it's going in to be looked at.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sux. Does anyone know if they changed the a/c system on the 05s.? ](*,)

phantom2

Reaction score
Just a follow up to my previous post concerning the a/c problem I'm having.I brought my 05 liberty back to the dealer for the third time and they say it was a leaking evaporator.According to them,the Chrysler evaporators are crap and they replace 2 a day.It is a real bear to replace these and they have to remove most of the dash and also the console.When I went back to pick it up,I found the driver door panel scratched and the door frame paint scratched.I left it there and they had to replace the door panel and paint the door frame,all this on a brand new vehicle.I really love the Jeep, but I wish someone other than Chrysler made it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Does anybody know how big the problem has to get before it hits recall status? I would think that if a majority of the '05's ac's keep going down that DCmight want to start thnking about engineering another one and replacing the defective ones.

I say majority because, just looking at the numbers there are about 500+ users (don't know how many have '05's maybe the making of a poll what year is your kj?) and there are 3 or 4 of us '05 owners that have had this happen (if mine is the same problem).

tree_stump

Reaction score
Dunno if it's related or not, but... I've got an 04 Renny, about 20k on it.

One of the o-rings on my compressor gave out, releasing all my freon. (Sorry, no pics... but it was the bolt on top of the compressor with the black hose headed into it). Sounds like if the o-rings the factory's sending out are faulty, they may be slowly losing freon and the compressor would stop coming on soon thereafter.

Just something to look into... I couldn't bear the wait for the local stealer when it was > 100 degrees out, so I just sucked it up and had the o-ring replaced and freon recharged - $80.

phantom2

Reaction score
After having my evaporator replaced,my problem is back.I park my jeep ,go inside a store,come back out,start vehicle,no a/c.The a/c light comes on, but no compressor.I drive around a few minutes,shut the vehicle off and restart and a/c works.This is a very intermittent problem,but it's very annoying.I almost wish I had my Explorer back.

dnm45227

Reaction score
My wife still hasn't taken the '05 in to get fixed, but I will let you guys know what the tech here have to say (when she takes it in).