Advice on tire size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afortes

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Liberty sport (Goodyear Wrangler St 215/75R16).
I would like to switch to one of these:
225/70/16
225/75/16
235/70/16
I drive mostly in highways. With today's fuel prices I was wondering if there are any differences in fuel efficency in tire sizes??
Any advice would be appreciated it.
Alfredo.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all stock sizes or pretty darn close, so I doubt any one would make a noticeable difference in fuel economy.

I lifted mine 3" and put on 245/75R16s and only noticed about a 10% decrease in gas mileage. Thus, I doubt any of those tire size will make a difference.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure one set of tires would give you the best mpg, but you really wouldnt noticed a difference. If you were in the city then a smaller tire would work best for the extra torque. If your on the HW alot, then a bigger tire would do best to keep the rpms down.

Im being to series about this... :-s Just get the size you like the best.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
I lifted mine 3" and put on 245/75R16s and only noticed about a 10% decrease in gas mileage. Thus, I doubt any of those tire size will make a difference.

Dont forget to factor in your wrong odometer readings. The fuel loss is much less after you crunch some numbers.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Dont forget to factor in your wrong odometer readings. The fuel loss is much less after you crunch some numbers.

DAMMIT!! I never included that in my mpg study!! Now I have to do it all over again.....

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
afortes said:
225/70/16
225/75/16
235/70/16
I drive mostly in highways. With today's fuel prices I was wondering if there are any differences in fuel efficency in tire sizes??
Alfredo.

Go for the 235/70/16's. Revos look cool in this size on a KJ!

DocEvil

Reaction score
For pure highway driving, the tallest tire will give you the best milage since it will reduce the rpms and thus reduce energy lost to friction.
In the city, the lightest tire will have the most effect on milage, keeping in mind that as the weight in the tire moves outwards it has a greater mechanical leverage so a lighter shorter tire would be best.

For your particular query, I would go with the 225/75R16 tire. Try to find the lightest tire possible and shoot for one with a narrow treadwidth to minimize weight towards the outside of the tire.

RickM

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
afortes said:
225/70/16
225/75/16
235/70/16
Alfredo.

Go for the 235/70/16's. Revos look cool in this size on a KJ!

Please tell me what a "Revo" is, I've been searching for an hour here and can't find anything but message boards with people talking about "Revos".

What model tire is a "Revo"?

Thanks!

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

There's the regular Dueler A/T and then the Dueler A/T Revo which has a different tread pattern.

RickM

Reaction score
Thank you!

No wonder I couldn't find them, I thought they were BF Goodrich tires..

#-o

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 245/70 Finnish Nokian Vatiivas on my CRD with stock wheels, similar to the Revos in all ways I can see, but much less money. My speedo is at 65 when I'm really doing 65.5 mph, haven't noticed any mpg difference. Big difference in performance over the stock tires.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 245/70 Finnish Nokian Vatiivas on my CRD with stock wheels, similar to the Revos in all ways I can see, but much less money

But ALOT harder to find from what I can see. The nearest place to me that I could get them is 90 miles away. Even ordering them seems to be a hassle as I've only seen them available on a handful of sites.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to crack on your tires.....I'm just sharing my unbiased opinion (I still have my stock goodyears and have never had the revo's myself).

Latest posts

Members online