Advice from the experts on what I need to lift my KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wisebuck

Reaction score
Hello guys new member here. I own a 2002 Liberty limited with 3.7 v6 and am putting on a grill guard and tow receiver on the front ( to mount a winch as I need it) , so was wondering if I should replace the stock strut coil overs with a lifted one? Have LT 225/ 75 R16 Duratracs on it and the stock ride currently sits with equal clearance between top of tire to bottom of fender flare on both front and rear. Not sure if stock suspension has sagged much. You can see from my avatar pic that the clearance is actually not bad and truly I don't need more clearance for the driving I do (hunting and fishing as well as daily driver). just wondering if the extra weight on front will increase the rake where its unreasonable. Receiver weights 50 lbs. and grill guard is the Aries Grille Guard SKU 1045. Thanks for the consideration.

Just noticed this is in KK, so could a mod please move this to KJ lift kit discussion thanks

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have over 50-60000 miles it has sagged
On level ground, left front
measure middle of the wheel ( hub ) to bottom of the flare and report back
NOW you will have an issue installing one of those cheap grill guards and a hitch since they both use the tow hook location to mount
Then that area is not really that strong, seen a lot of tow hook pulled out
A lifted KJ makes a way better DD than stock , been daily driving all of mine , and the 04 for over 11 years at 4.5 inches of lift ( bought new and lifted soon after )

Wisebuck

Reaction score
If you have over 50-60000 miles it has sagged
On level ground, left front
measure middle of the wheel ( hub ) to bottom of the flare and report back
NOW you will have an issue installing one of those cheap grill guards and a hitch since they both use the tow hook location to mount
Then that area is not really that strong, seen a lot of tow hook pulled out
A lifted KJ makes a way better DD than stock , been daily driving all of mine , and the 04 for over 11 years at 4.5 inches of lift ( bought new and lifted soon after )
Measured front from centre of wheel to bottom of fender flare at 18 1/4 in and rear at 18 3/4 in. Yeah I’ve anticipated that interference and the receiver is a universal that I’m mounting straight to the frame with obvious strengthening.

Wisebuck

Reaction score
Just to add I know the grill guard isn’t fancy like an ARB but I don’t need the bulk of the ARB as when I need to off-road it will be on my quad. Plus those buggers are damn expensive to get up here in Canuckastan. I’ve read a lot of your posts and agree with most of your views so seeing as my sag is more than I thought it would be, a lift of 2 in is probably my route.
Are these the parts I’ll need:
Front: Old Man Emu 927 springs with Bilstein #24-139168 shocks
Rear: Old Man Emu 948 springs with Bilstein #24-185660 shocks
??

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Measured front from centre of wheel to bottom of fender flare at 18 1/4 in and rear at 18 3/4 in. Yeah I’ve anticipated that interference and the receiver is a universal that I’m mounting straight to the frame with obvious strengthening.
Sort of hard to mount straight to the " frame "
Not like a full framed truck/ Wrangler etc
as far as the grill guard , they are very lightweight and bend easily if coming into contact with anything
parts, yes, and then 2 Teraflex front bumpstops and 4 hockey pucks for the rear, ( two per side bolted down to the lower spring perch after installing the rear springs ) OH drill hole first before you install springs

Wisebuck

Reaction score
Sort of hard to mount straight to the " frame "
Not like a full framed truck/ Wrangler etc
as far as the grill guard , they are very lightweight and bend easily if coming into contact with anything
parts, yes, and then 2 Teraflex front bumpstops and 4 hockey pucks for the rear, ( two per side bolted down to the lower spring perch after installing the rear springs ) OH drill hole first before you install springs

Wisebuck

Reaction score
Right on. Thank very much for the prompt reply. Will post work in new thread in spring (May) as it’s gonna be a bit before the lift parts get here and still cold as heck here for another month or two. Cheers. BTW the plastic front end is weaker than the grill guard. Lol

Last edited:

Wisebuck

Reaction score
One last question, do I need any other changes as in uca or lca in order to keep correct alignment? Steering is tight and slop free at the moment and I don’t want to sacrifice this.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Right on. Thank very much for the prompt reply. Will post work in new thread in spring (May) as it’s gonna be a bit before the lift parts get here and still cold as heck here for another month or two. Cheers. BTW the plastic front end is weaker than the grill guard. Lol
You may think, but with the reinforcements behind it and designed to take the impact those grill guards cause way more damage
Used to co-own a body shop, loved those grill guards always made more money

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
One last question, do I need any other changes as in uca or lca in order to keep correct alignment? Steering is tight and slop free at the moment and I don’t want to sacrifice this.
JBA UCAs are a nice upgrade and designed to make it easier to align

octafish

Reaction score
JBA UCAs are a nice upgrade and designed to make it easier to align
Hey Tom!

Would you recommend the Rocky Road UCA’s?

Last year I lifted my ‘06 Libby by 3-4” using all OME struts and springs. Lovin’ the ride now.

This year the bushings are making all sorts of squeaky sounds and the Libby now sounds like a Jalopy! At full steer my driver’s side front end makes a snapping sound too!

What LCA would you recommend?

The current LCA’s don’t have replacable bushings :s

Thanks,

octafish

Reaction score
What UCA and LCA would you recommend?

Need to get rid of all the squeaky sounds coming off my front end.

Latest posts

Members online