Adding Right Door & Tailgate Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ron.dittmer

Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't understand why Chrysler would delete the passenger side and rear tail gate key'd locks. It's supposed to be a wilderness vehicle afterall. Do they expect me to carry an electronic fob/key when camping?

Our 2006 KJ is my wife's vehicle so I carry a standard key to minimize pocket bulk. But I am always found frustrated standing where there is no key hole.

Has anyone added key'd door handles for the passenger and tailgate from an early model? It seems only the 2002 model year had them. Am I right about that?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume the door likely didn't change so anything you need in the door is likely there. But that's just speculation. Locking mechanisms aren't incredibly tricky. I had my friend's Honda Accord trunk apart and from what I could tell it was relatively simple. I assume it's the same for doors. I would pull the door panel and look at both the driver's side and passenger side to get a better understanding for the mechanical motions the door goes through to open/lock/unlock.

Once again that's all speculation. I have no interest in the modification myself so I'm not really all that tempted to look.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't understand why Chrysler would delete the passenger side and rear tail gate key'd locks. It's supposed to be a wilderness vehicle afterall. Do they expect me to carry an electronic fob/key when camping?

Our 2006 KJ is my wife's vehicle so I carry a standard key to minimize pocket bulk. But I am always found frustrated standing where there is no key hole.

Has anyone added key'd door handles for the passenger and tailgate from an early model? It seems only the 2002 model year had them. Am I right about that?

Yea 02's had them.
If you thinks that bad. My wife's 07 compass only has a power lock button and keyhole in the driver door. Keys are just becoming the thing of the past. I honestly don't even know if my key tumbler works in my door. I've never used it.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was normally standard to do that with any vehicle that came with keyless entry (there have been some noted exceptions). My Ram is the same way.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea 02's had them.
If you thinks that bad. My wife's 07 compass only has a power lock button and keyhole in the driver door. Keys are just becoming the thing of the past. I honestly don't even know if my key tumbler works in my door. I've never used it.
I've never used my key locks,not once and I've owned my KJ since Feb 28th 2002.

To the OP...............

To do this swap you will also need the R/F and rear swing gate latches from a '02 KJ and all the manual lock linkages along with '02 door handles.Then you will need to get them keyed to the L/F lock.For new parts your looking at about $800 before getting the locks keyed right.Not really worth it.Just unlock the L/F door manually and use the unlock switch to unlock the rest of the doors if you do not want to use the keyfob.

Members online

No members online now.