Programming Remote Door Lock Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2007 Liberty Sport

One of the remotes just freaked out and stopped working. I ordered a pair from an Amazon seller with tons of great reviews. Tried programming them over and over using the included instructions then decided, hey, let's see what the manual says. After going through the process several times of holding the unlock then pressing panic (cute that they use that) then pressing lock and unlock on the new remote keys I finally got one of them to work.

Now I have not had either of the new keys cut yet, was wanting to make sure they programmed and if not, be able to return them. Am I right in that now that one of these new keys is programmed and will lock, unlock the doors that it will also work to disarm the immobilizer and work as a normal key once cut?

As to the OEM key that freaked out, I've tried the reset of pressing lock 5x and tried to program it the same way I did the new keys with no success. It does however turn off the immobilizer light and work correctly in the ignition. Ideas, just busted?

Is there a source for real OEM key fobs at a reasonable price? These are ok but you can tell they are not OEM and of course don't have the Jeep name on them.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had found online some that purported to be oem, and official and real. The price was like $59 or more as opposed to the cheap knock offs which were $14.95 etc.

I'll follow here to see what you get. I have the same issue.

Only one key and it doesn't unlock the door lock with the cut key part.
dc

JBDive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the key that I was able to program cut this AM and it works fine, disables the immobilizer as it should. Will take apart the 2nd key from Amazon and double check it is put together right and try one more time on programming it. No way I am paying $150 for a damn OEM key, I'll program 6 POS Amazon Chinese keys first.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the cheap ones on ebay, $14/pair had them cut, and then got them to start the Liberty after following instructions here or some other website. The remote still works but the range isn't very good, I have had those keys for about 4 years now. One place didn't want to try to cut the key because of liability and once I told them it was a $7 key I got on ebay they put it in the machine