Adding Power Steering Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I don't have one either :shrug: and I'm guessing I'm gonna need one now :D

I assume it's function is to prolong the life of the pump and rack? (by cooling the PS fluid)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I tend to make ASSumptions when I've bought 7 of the same year vehicle and they have the same things/don't have certain things. Doesn't make me right.

Example. 4 of the KJ's I've had had factory install receivers with 7 pin connectors. Non-spliced, on the build sheet hitches and harness. Not one of them has had an external trans cooler.

So I assumed that was an option, but in later years it seems it became more or less a standard with the receiver.

Elliot, you're on the right track here. You've got the trans cooler. My suggestion would be to order a power steering cooler with hoses, take the nose of your KJ apart, and install it like it was factory. I can provide pics of where it mounts etc. when you're set to do it. I actually have spare factory bolts for the power steering cooler as well as the rubber isolator grommets that I can send you.
When I originally added a OEM hitch and wiring I went with OEM parts since I worked at the dealership and they cost me little to nothing.I had the option of putting in the falt four or the 7 pin and either kit was a no splice installation.I got the flat four as I would never need or use the 7 pin.

Either option,when installed,would look and function just like if the factory installed them as part of the tow package.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you seeing the transmission cooler in his pics? I'm not disagreeing, just a n00b who isn't sure what to look for and wants to make sure I have one on my 2007 Sport. Mine has both the vertical and small horizontal cooler to the right and in front of the radiator, respectively. Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right things.

In his 2nd pic you can see the trans cooler running along the bottom front of the radiator.

If you have a horizontal cooler in front of the rad - about 4" high - then you have the trans cooler.

And hey, we were all noobs at one time right? :icon_biggrin:

Bob

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I originally added a OEM hitch and wiring I went with OEM parts since I worked at the dealership and they cost me little to nothing.I had the option of putting in the falt four or the 7 pin and either kit was a no splice installation.I got the flat four as I would never need or use the 7 pin.

Either option,when installed,would look and function just like if the factory installed them as part of the tow package.

my factory 7 pins were part of the existing body harness. you can make factory look, but no one swaps an entire body harness for that, except maybe me.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...If you have a horizontal cooler in front of the rad - about 4" high - then you have the trans cooler...
Thanks! :)

There are so many options and variables involved that it seems almost impossible to know what you've really got on the Jeep unless you have an expert point it out. My build sheet mentions none of this, unless that stuff is included in one of the "Customer Preferred Packages" for which there seems to be little information available.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my factory 7 pins were part of the existing body harness. you can make factory look, but no one swaps an entire body harness for that, except maybe me.
The OEM 7 pin hooks into the same place the flat 4 does,behind the passenger/rear trim panel.I had both in my hands and both hooked up the exact same way just one had more wires.Now the trailer brake controler is a whole different story.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM 7 pin hooks into the same place the flat 4 does,behind the passenger/rear trim panel.I had both in my hands and both hooked up the exact same way just one had more wires.Now the trailer brake controler is a whole different story.

OEM 7 pin on 2002 is wired directly into the factory harness. no connectors.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone else finds this post and is looking for the cooler pn, the current pn is 52129063AA. Ordered it from dealership and should have it in hand tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.