Adding Power Steering Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they all have one? Every one I have worked on does...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they all have one? Every one I have worked on does...

X2 - What JeepCoMJ said. Every KJ Liberty I've ever seen has one.

Check on the driver's side in front of the radiator. You'll see a small vertical cooler that takes care of the power steering fluid.

You also have a standalone transmission cooler that runs along the bottom of the radiator. It's about 4 inches tall and about 20 inches wide. So save your money and buy something else for your Jeep that you either need or want for a mod. You're all set with coolers for now :waytogo:

Bob

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ****** cooler but not the power steering cooler. For what I can tell it was standard until the 05 model. Military moved me from Florida to Washington State and I'll be towing a cargo trailer full of my junk.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Think time and money would be better spent on servicing all fluids,plugs,filters. Thanks for your service.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Army..I was living right on the FL/GA border.

Think time and money would be better spent on servicing all fluids,plugs,filters. Thanks for your service.

Thank you sir. I've replaced the spark plugs, oil & filter change, and transmission fluid & filter already. Still have to do the front and rear diffs, transfer case, coolant, and brakes. I'm just a little worried about overheating the p/s towing a large load going up winding roads. Besides Washington has some great ORV parks and its about time I put a lift and bigger tires on it and go enjoy this thing like my old Wrangler I used to have. Can't believe I got almost 120k miles on it and its still 99% stock.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Army..I was living right on the FL/GA border.

Thank you sir. I've replaced the spark plugs, oil & filter change, and transmission fluid & filter already. Still have to do the front and rear diffs, transfer case, coolant, and brakes. I'm just a little worried about overheating the p/s towing a large load going up winding roads. Besides Washington has some great ORV parks and its about time I put a lift and bigger tires on it and go enjoy this thing like my old Wrangler I used to have. Can't believe I got almost 120k miles on it and its still 99% stock.

Not to get off topic but I'll be in the army as well right after college (doing ROTC). What's your MOS?

Back on topic, the diffs are easy to do just make sure if you have an LSD to add in the friction modifier. The brakes are easy as well same with the tcase fluid. I've never done a coolant change before so not too sure how difficult that is.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If you decide to go ahead with a cooler the return line has little pressure,the pressure line is quite strong,might play hell getting a seal if you cut the line.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 - What JeepCoMJ said. Every KJ Liberty I've ever seen has one.

Check on the driver's side in front of the radiator. You'll see a small vertical cooler that takes care of the power steering fluid.

You also have a standalone transmission cooler that runs along the bottom of the radiator. It's about 4 inches tall and about 20 inches wide. So save your money and buy something else for your Jeep that you either need or want for a mod. You're all set with coolers for now :waytogo:

Bob

The standalone trans cooler wasn't standard to KJ's, at least not 02's or early 03's (all I've worked on besides a couple CRD's)

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elliot, are you sure that you're not mistaking the trans cooler for a power steering cooler? The trans cooler is along the bottom edge of the radiator. The power steering cooler is midway up the driver's side of the radiator in front of it, running vertically

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS cooler was standard on all '02's and pretty much a add-on with HD cooling(towing package) on years after that.It was not standard for all years of KJ's,only '02 that I know of,maybe '03 also.

Believe it or not it actually helps alot,adds about a pint more to the PS system and actually cools the fluid.Easy to install also,should take less then 10mins.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS cooler was standard on all '02's and pretty much a add-on with HD cooling(towing package) on years after that.It was not standard for all years of KJ's,only '02 that I know of,maybe '03 also.

Believe it or not it actually helps alot,adds about a pint more to the PS system and actually cools the fluid.Easy to install also,should take less then 10mins.

TJKJ, would it be a pretty safe assumption that you can just buy the cooler and associated lines, and bolt them on? problem solved.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ, would it be a pretty safe assumption that you can just buy the cooler and associated lines, and bolt them on? problem solved.
The PS cooler should have the lines crimped on it already,not saying it does but I know I had to cut off the crimped rubber lines off my PS cooler when I went SFA and had to lengthen the lines.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thought as far as original install. I don't know if the replacements do or not.

Elliott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get off topic but I'll be in the army as well right after college (doing ROTC). What's your MOS?

Back on topic, the diffs are easy to do just make sure if you have an LSD to add in the friction modifier. The brakes are easy as well same with the tcase fluid. I've never done a coolant change before so not too sure how difficult that is.

I'm chemical recon in a cav unit...hope you enjoy it. I just haven't gotten to the other fluids yet, probably next weekend.

Elliot, are you sure that you're not mistaking the trans cooler for a power steering cooler? The trans cooler is along the bottom edge of the radiator. The power steering cooler is midway up the driver's side of the radiator in front of it, running vertically

I'm pretty sure I got it right but take a look at these pics. The p/s cooler should be on the right side where the space is. The ****** cooler runs horizontally along the bottom of the rad.

Attachments

• IMG_20130721_181052.jpg
    IMG_20130721_181052.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20130721_181132.jpg
    IMG_20130721_181132.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be dipped - I've never seen a Libby without a PS cooler. You do have the ****** cooler though. My '03 came with both and a buddy has an '05 and it has both too. It's just a Sport model too. Hmmmmm....

Along with others here: Thank you for your service :patriot:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...You do have the ****** cooler though. My '03 came with both and a buddy has an '05 and it has both too. It's just a Sport model too. Hmmmmm....
Where are you seeing the transmission cooler in his pics? I'm not disagreeing, just a n00b who isn't sure what to look for and wants to make sure I have one on my 2007 Sport. Mine has both the vertical and small horizontal cooler to the right and in front of the radiator, respectively. Just want to make sure I'm looking at the right things.

Amen. :worthy:

I did one enlistment in the Navy, got my Honorable, then moved on a good while back. I was in just long enough to really appreciate the sacrifices you guys (and gals) make.

I was in Pensacola for a while back when the USS Lexington was still running the training missions for the rookie pilots. You anywhere near there? :favorites13:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be dipped - I've never seen a Libby without a PS cooler. You do have the ****** cooler though. My '03 came with both and a buddy has an '05 and it has both too. It's just a Sport model too. Hmmmmm....

Bob
Just because it's a Sprot does not mean it can't have options.I've seen Sports with the select trac and sunroofs.The apearance packages are just that,apearance related.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because it's a Sprot does not mean it can't have options.I've seen Sports with the select trac and sunroofs.The apearance packages are just that,apearance related.

Agreed. I tend to make ASSumptions when I've bought 7 of the same year vehicle and they have the same things/don't have certain things. Doesn't make me right.

Example. 4 of the KJ's I've had had factory install receivers with 7 pin connectors. Non-spliced, on the build sheet hitches and harness. Not one of them has had an external trans cooler.

So I assumed that was an option, but in later years it seems it became more or less a standard with the receiver.

Elliot, you're on the right track here. You've got the trans cooler. My suggestion would be to order a power steering cooler with hoses, take the nose of your KJ apart, and install it like it was factory. I can provide pics of where it mounts etc. when you're set to do it. I actually have spare factory bolts for the power steering cooler as well as the rubber isolator grommets that I can send you.