AC recirculate setting issue- Not blowing hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this on another site and it totally applies to my jeep

So here's the story. I bought a used 2002 Liberty about two months ago. I noticed the a/c wasn't blowing as ******* max air (recirculate) as it was on the fresh air setting (two notches up). It sounded like all the air was blowing into the dash and barely coming out the vents, even on the highest setting. In Florida this is not good.

I went to the dealer and asked some questions. They told me that it could be a broken recirculate door or the recirculate door actuator was bad, or maybe even a vacuum leak. I ruled out the vacuum leak and decided to go ahead on a day off and dig into the dash to find out if it was the door or the actuator.

Well let me tell you, getting to the air box contraption was a real PITA. Required removing the whole dash, steering column and all to reach it. I finally got to the recirc door and I figured out what was wrong. The door and actuator were working fine. The issue was the plastic screening on the door housing was clogged with dust and debris, almost to the point where you could barely see the door. I rubbed off most of the gunk with my finger, used a compressed air can to blow some more off and finished off with a vacuum cleaner. Plugged everything back in and it blows like a hurricane, what a difference! Entire job took me a little over 6 hours, in the hot Florida sun, and it was no fun. lol But atleast I will be more comfortable while driving now.

The moral of this story is..... if your A/C isn't blowing as ******* recirculate it may not be a mechanical or vacuum problem and you may not need to take it to a dealer. Once you've ruled out any obvious vacuum leaks check the recirc door housing. Easiest way is to remove the dash parts on the passenger side, will require air bag removal (unplug battery first), and you should be able to see if the screening is clogged. You can also see the door opening and closing, or not, and if the actuator is working properly. You won't be able to see the whole screen this way, but find yourself someone with small and they should be able to get it cleaned. Wish I woulda used this method to begin with, would've saved me about 5 hours.

Well I hope this saves someone time out there.

SoonerJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started a thread on my 2004 doing this same thing a couple of weeks ago. Mine was a dust clogged screen also. Thank goodness I saw the clogged screen before I really started taking things apart. All you have to remove to get access to the screen is the glove box. A 10 second job. With the glove box out the screen it straight ahead on the right. The whole thing took me 10 minutes. Blows super cold air and lots of it now.

deliciousdaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are the before and after pics, HUGE difference!

Attachments

• IMG-20120709-00076.jpg
    IMG-20120709-00076.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG-20120709-00077.jpg
    IMG-20120709-00077.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG-20120709-00078.jpg
    IMG-20120709-00078.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 250

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, the whole time I've had Mr. Darcy my boyfriend has said he thinks there's something wrong with the AC because it doesn't blow very ******* MAX AC. I assumed it was just how it was but seeing this pic I might take a look! Just to be clear, if you are only looking to clean that screen just take off the glove box? Does it have to come all the way off? Can I just megamouth it? You know, where you pull it down all the way ;)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open it up pinch the plastic tabs to open it more then slide it to the side it comes off very easy

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these exact same symptoms. I have not taken my dash apart but the screen that is pictured is not behind my glove box in my 2006. It looks quite different.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have these exact same symptoms. I have not taken my dash apart but the screen that is pictured is not behind my glove box in my 2006. It looks quite different.

I still haven't looked at mine, but if our 2006's are different can we still do the same thing? Or at least get the same outcome?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody? I just popped the glove box while waiting for a friend at the grocery store and it's all plugs and boxes. It's really hot today and I would like to figure this out. What would be more convincing, a pic behind the glovebox or a pic of me suffocating outside the store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody? I just popped the glove box while waiting for a friend at the grocery store and it's all plugs and boxes. It's really hot today and I would like to figure this out. What would be more convincing, a pic behind the glovebox or a pic of me suffocating outside the store?

Glovebox pic! Don't suffocate on us...

As you pull the glovebox door off look slightly to the right - that's where the screen is located. Yes, a bunch of wires and other gizmos (technical term :icon_twisted: ) but the screen is against the firewall - at least on my '03.

If anybody has an '06 or '07 can you confirm?

Bob

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I'll check it out again. I finally made it home and am currently melted to the sofa so I'll have to try again next time I have to leave the house. But anyone with an '06 I would like a confirmation. There is a black box that had some condensation on it with the AC blowing, thought something might be going on in there...

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 06 as well. i looked and i have all wires and boxes too. maybe tjkj can chime in.

Reaction score
I have an 07 and it does have stuff in front of the screen but it's still there, i couldn't see it without a flashlight but i could reach to the back and and feel it, cleaned mine off with some paper towel and then a hard bristle brush, I had already recharged my AC before doing this fix, but between the 2 fixes my KJ get cold fast.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the screen! And took a pic :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Close up, gross.

You must be registered for see images attach

A little farther back to show placement. This is on Mr. Darcy who is an '06. I haven't finished cleaning it yet but I scraped it a bit with my fingernails and it looks much better.

03Sport

Reaction score
Nice one, delisiousdaly- had the same issue with my 2003, and just fixed it- your pics were spot on. Thanks!

Enigmatic

Reaction score
Great posts guys. I just had my AC in my Liberty replaced and noticed that it still did not seem to cool like I thought it should (especially after spending over $1200). I read your posts and looked behind my glove box and sure enough it was completely covered by dust. I got out my shop vac and went to town...now my ac COOLS like there is no tomorrow! Great help you guys are! Thanks