Abs traction lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my front end on my 06 has been sounding funny. I went to a local shop that everyone praises. They are a great shop, kinda high but good work and don't try to f you over with bs stuff.

So I had lower ball joints, a tie rod and pair of new hubs. Well I know they get their parts from the dealer or napa.

I dropped it off and in a few hours it was done and even gave me alignment on the house, which I think that's becuase I used my jobs number and stuff just incase someone had to pick it up for me.

Anyway, I got there before they closed. All looked good and I talked to the aligment guy about stock a arms and lifts. He said he got it pretty darn close. I got in and started it up. The traction control light, esp and abs light was on.

I go grab the guy that does all the work for us. He puts it on the scanner and it said right front abs sensor. I told them it wasn't on when I brought it here. He said no promblem, ran inside and grabbed the owner. We talked nicely.

The next morning I bring it in and they had the sensor from the dealer. Installed it. No promblems, no more lights, no cost to me. I pulled out of the drive way and all the lights are back on. So I pull it back in and they put it back on the scanner. Me and the owner is bsing about jeeps and stuff. The mechanic came over and showed me that it said toner ring on right front.

So the toner ring is what the abs sensor reads, its built into the hub, which is new. So I ask them now what......

Well they now say that the jeep is fine for a few days until the new hub gets here. Just incase we pull the abs pump fuse so the traction control don't try to correct anything. I know from 02-05 the kj didn't have abs. In fact this is the first vehicle I've owned that had abs/tc.

The hub is new and they just want to charge me labor to change it out (65/hour, they are calling this dionagtics fee) and it will be a few days for the hub to come in.

I don't want to dump another 100+ bucks into it and a full day of sitting at a mechanics shop. They work slow, but its right.

So........

Can I run with the abs pump fuse out and forget about it. Will it be fine?

Already talked to my insurance rep (good friends 10 years). He said that I don't get a discount for abs, so "fell free to mod my jeep". And its now became my weekend toy. I don't care for traction control and we dobt get ice or snow so I'm good there.

TLDR: abs toner ring in hub (new) is messed up, can I run with abs pump fuse pulled and the traction control will stay off?

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine pulling the fuse.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your local laws,bypassing a safety feature could land you in some hot water.

Besides that if they changed the hub they must cover the cost to fix the issue since it just was done.Mixing and matching OE and non-OE ABS parts can be iffy at best and the air gaps may not be correct causing your issues.It's there fault so it's there dime.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tjkj they did not repair it properly they need to do it right and that's what you paid for.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that they should fix it. Were going around and around with that. They are trying to say that they didn't mess with the brakes....blah blah blah.

Its crazy becuase they have a A+ rating and everyone in town takes their stuff to them. They work on hot rods all the way to our work vehicles. Work has never had a promblem with them.

I just needed to know that until they get the parts in, can I still drive it and it won't cause more damage?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that they should fix it. Were going around and around with that. They are trying to say that they didn't mess with the brakes....blah blah blah.

Its crazy becuase they have a A+ rating and everyone in town takes their stuff to them. They work on hot rods all the way to our work vehicles. Work has never had a promblem with them.

I just needed to know that until they get the parts in, can I still drive it and it won't cause more damage?

Well since the hub contains the ABS tone ring and the ABS speed sensor and now you have codes for one of those sensors it directly effects what they replaced.And yes they messed with the front brakes since they must come off to replace the hub bearing.

Oh and yes you will be just fine but without ABS,ESP,or traction control.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tjkj, thanks, its silly they are trying to bs me. I stood there and watched. Still working with them, just went up to the dealer snd they bought all the parts there and they have more instock. The mechanics place is saying its a two week wait for warrenty parts. Total bs.

Pays to know the parts manager at the dealer. He said if nothing else he will slide me the parts under the shops name and just bring back the "new/old" ones. But I still have to do the labor......should of done the work myself the first time.

Latest posts

Members online