About to buy a used liberty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all...just signed up so Hi.

My fiance and I are in the market for a used one, and about to start looking around this weekend. What are some things I should be aware of when talking to the dealer and looking at the vehicle? For example...common problem areas, parts that break easily or often need to be fixed, something to ask that I wouldn't normally think of? That stuff.
Any help would be great...thank you!

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the site and (hopefully) to a new KJ. For some quick info check out the recall and how-to sections here on this board as well as www.lostkjs.com. Any more specific questions can surely be answered on either of the sites.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely check out the other site.
What kind of mods are you talking about? I'm not sure exactly where I'll be getting it. I would rather buy from a dealer than a private owner, but all depends on what's available in the area.
I plan on doing the basic look over on all the ones I test drive, like check all the fluids, rust, belts, the basic stuff. Just didn't know if there was anything notorious on these cars to keep an eye out for.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome. I would have the front end check as previously stated, especially the balljoints. Check the transmission fluid, not only the level, but the smell of the fluid.....yup give the dip stick a good sniff for a burnt smell.

Water pumps are know to crap out in 40-50K miles too.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I look for water pump trouble...Chances are I'll get the 3.7 Auto V6.
How is the timing belt on these? I've had trouble with other cars I've had. Is this a belt or chain?
What should I look for when inspecting the front end and ball joints?

ObiHann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There great vehicles and you will be very happy with one! What year are you looking for? I drive a 02 and its great! IMO, either get a V6 or a CRD, the V4's are too small :) Also, shoot for a limited model, they are fully loaded basically, and come with the very nice full time four wheel drive option. Many just have part time hi and lo, where the limited comes with full time part time hi and lo. Basically you only run part time when you have little to no traction, so dry pavement is a nono, but for full time, keep it on forever, its fine... Keep in mind a few of the 02's came with a rear dana 35 axle instead of the chrysler 8.25, you want the 8.25, its stronger :)... What else? Try to find one with the off road package, that gives you all 4 skids, and front and rear tow hooks They come in handy :p Last think I think I have to say is that ABS was not standard for the first year or so, so if thats important, make sure you check. I was suprised when I found out I didn't have ABS, but that was months after I got it :eek: Either way, there great vehicles, and are great off road. Lift it, put bigger tires, more lights, etc, there so much fun!

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is the CRD a lot different from the gas ones? Man there's a lot to learn about new cars....I'm used to my older cars lol

How do I figure out what rear axle it has? I can already guess that the smaller dealers in my area won't know much detail other than the name it. I've already called one place asking for info because I saw it on their lot the day before and whoever picked up the phone said it was gone...needless to say I drove by and it was right where I saw it last time...so yea, don't think some of them will be much help.

Timing chains are usually good for the life of the engine with regular maintenance, right?

Last edited:

ObiHann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is the CRD a lot different from the gas ones? Man there's a lot to learn about new cars....I'm used to my older cars lol

How do I figure out what rear axle it has? I can already guess that the smaller dealers in my area won't know much detail other than the name it. I've already called one place asking for info because I saw it on their lot the day before and whoever picked up the phone said it was gone...needless to say I drove by and it was right where I saw it last time...so yea, don't think some of them will be much help.

Timing chains are usually good for the life of the engine with regular maintenance.

The CRD is a diesel engine, most people say it has the gas mileage of a v4, the performance of a v6, and the torque of a v8... As far as dealers, the 8.25" has flat bottoms, the dana is round.

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like others have said they are great trucks. I bought a 2003 Renegade back on Jan 9th. I think I did pretty well with mine. It has 102K on it but after living with it for a little over a month I keep finding clues that lead me to believe mine was very well cared for. First off it still looks nearly new inside and out. You can tell when something has been taken care of. I changed the oil on mine just today. It had a mobil 1 oil filter on it so I'm pretty confident it had mobil 1 oil or other snythetic oil. It also has a K&N air filter. These are two things that dealers just don't do to there used cars. I also believe a lot of the miles on mine are hwy. miles. The only cosmetic problem on the car is the leftover damage from bugs on the front end. My advice is check any Liberty out very well. If you don't trust your car knowlege take it to someone you trust to have it checked out. Good luck on your search.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things to think about:

1) the 2002 and some 2003 KJ's will have a 45RFE. This is a "stronger" transmission than the 42RLE found in all versions of the KJ after April 2003.

2) the window regulators are a common spot of failure in the 2005+ KJ's

3) Do not get the I4 (Inline 4 cylinder) Way too under powered

4) Get the Limited. Better seats than the sport versions, and get as many options as you can find.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Things to think about:

1) the 2002 and some 2003 KJ's will have a 45RFE. This is a "stronger" transmission than the 42RLE found in all versions of the KJ after April 2003.

2) the window regulators are a common spot of failure in the 2005+ KJ's

3) Do not get the I4 (Inline 4 cylinder) Way too under powered

4) Get the Limited. Better seats than the sport versions, and get as many options as you can find.

5) KJs built prior to 04/2002 are sprung about .75" - 1" higher - that is a good thing; check the driver door jamb to find the d/o/b

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do find an 03 built in early 2003, double check to see if it has the 45RFE. Mine was built in Feb 03 and it's the 42RLE. Seems that there was a run of a couple of months there where they kept using a separate TCM, but started using the 42RLE. I know it's been mentioned before, but it's worth it to double check those if you're set on getting a 45.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, your comments help a lot. Definitely wrote it all down and will check with everything on all the ones I look at.
Are there a lot of differences between the sport package and the limited?
The limited are a little higher than my price range from the ones I've found in my area, so just wondering if I should push to find one or look for a quality sport package.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, your comments help a lot. Definitely wrote it all down and will check with everything on all the ones I look at.
Are there a lot of differences between the sport package and the limited?
The limited are a little higher than my price range from the ones I've found in my area, so just wondering if I should push to find one or look for a quality sport package.

Welcome!!!! There are quite a few differences between the Sport and Limited. I'd get the Sport if you not going to get leather, if you want leather you have to get the Ltd. Also, I'm pretty sure Atrus on here has full time (Selec Trac), and his is an 07 Sport. I think on Sports it comes with the off road package.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Our Sport did not come with the "Off Road" package. So, no tow hooks and not factory fitted skid plates. The Sport has seats with the head rest integral with the seat back, hence non adjustable. For me a 6'5" person, I find the Sport seats more comfortable than the leather heated power seats. But to each there own. I also find that part time four wheel drive is more desirable.
Should you deside to buy one, you will enjoy it. They are fun to drive on and off road.
A good solid American made truck... Ah, Jeep ;)

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to see an '03 limited yesterday and it was REALLY nice. It had the full time AWD system....actually the only one I found in about a dozen for sale around here.
What do you guys think of the deal. It has 87,700 miles, one owner. I checked as much as I could but Still have to do a test drive.
The only questionable thing I found was that when I removed the oil cap there was the creamy tan stuff in the threads of the cap...kinda looked like the engine restore or whatever brand. Do you think that's a bad sign? I ran the engine and didn't hear ticking and it started right up. Figured I'd toss it out there to get some feedback.
Thanks again for the help.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a nice model KJ.

The full-time transfercase is known, in Liberty terms, as Select-Trac. I have it and love the option of running full time year-round or when the wife drives the KJ. I think it is a must have option personally but lets hear from the guys that always say otherwise....

The foamy, milky substance in the oil fill tube is also a common issue with the KJ's in the winter. The fill tube acts like a chimney and lets hot engine gasses rise outside of the valve cover. The hot gases then condense because of the poor insulating properties of plastic and that forms the milky oil based goo.

The goo doesn't, or hasn't caused any problems to date with the KJ motor. Just clean out the oil fill tube once every two weeks during the colder months and you'll never even have to look at the goo.

Oh, and what was the asking price?

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's really good news about the goo. A lot better than the dealer or previous owner trying to do some quick fix to stop any leaks or ticking.

they are asking $8500. think that's a good price?

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me $8500.00 is a fair price. You can try to haggle them down to around $7800.00 or $8000.00 it would be a very good deal.

Just make sure you test drive the KJ before you buy it and also grab the VIN number and run that through the "for owners" section on Jeep.com to make sure all of the recalls for the vehicle were performed.