A little short on gittup 'n' go...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what am I doing wrong, admitted, the Jeep seems a little anemic on power, but what's this about some people being able to put on a smoke show??? Am i doing something wrong??? I can't seem to even get a little chirp out of her unless i cut the wheel and floor it. What am I doing wrong? If all goes as planned, by the end of this summer i'll be able to put some JBA headers, a True Flow intake and a Flowmaster exhaust on the KJ, and i figure that should net me close to 50HP and about 60ish ft/lbs. Do those figures seem right? The headers claim 15-20HP and 26ft/lbs. just by themselves, i figure if i add in an exhaust (about 15-20HP and 20+ ft/lbs.) and an intake (maybe 10-15HP and 20ish ft/lbs.) i should be able to squeeze out somewhere around 270-280HP and 300+ ft/lbs. Now i know the math doesn't really seem to add up, but isn't the synergy of the parts supposed to be greater than the whole, blah, blah, blah, etc. etc.??? Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any tips on why i seem to be so low on power, i'd appreciate those too (i changed the plugs a few thousand miles ago, run full syn. almost everywhere but i also have E245/75/R16's)

Thanks,
-Savage-

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be the tires have a lot to do wiht you not being able to spin them. They are bigger then stock, so that adds more weight, plus if the compound is a little softer, as much of the more off road type tires are, that will help them stick more, causing to be more difficult to spin. I still have the stock crapyears on my wifes jeep (only 6000 miles) and it will burn them from a standing start no problem at all. With all those upgrades you have planned, that may help you a bit. But why would you want to burn the tires, then they just need replaced that much sooner.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree that it's probably the tires and the lift. With the mods you're planning on though, it should be quicker than it ever was. I know the stock Goodyears chirped a lot more than the BFGs that are on mine now.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that i want to burn them all the time, especially considering i pay for just about everything i do to my Jeep, including the tires, but it would be nice to know i can O:)

dano104

Reaction score
Honestly if you aren't able to do that now there is something wrong! I have the BFG AT's and I can chirp mine anytime I want. ( not that I do ! )