A few things I noticed between 2005 and 2006 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaoscollins

Reaction score
I just picked up my new 2006 Limited fully loaded last night. Now can anyone tell me some of the changes between 2005 and 2006 model. As far as I can see so far the 2006 limited has added chrome side molding and a chrome roof rack which I think is a great upgrade for this year as far as looks go. But one thing I noticed is now the rocker panels are covered with a black plastic instead of the matching painted molding like on 2005. Anyone know why they did this? I like the painted matched look better as far as that goes. I am guess just cause the old painted ones got scuffed up a lot from shoes and offroaded that maybe they decided not to go with the painted ones anymore. Anyone else notice this? I was just looking at 2005's and the 2006's on ebay just to compare and this is what I have noticed on all of them.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh?

I didn't notice any change in rocker panel color.. I have an 05 limited and I looked at an 06 limited at the dealer.. actually noticed.. the rear view mirror is now one button instead of off/auto..

Only thing I saw....

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scuff plate is not painted, also notice the door lock buttons for 06 are now black plastic instead of the aluminum/billet style

Bon

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My scuff plate is not painted, also notice the door lock buttons for 06 are now black plastic instead of the aluminum/billet style.

Bob

Chaoscollins

Reaction score
Hmmmm this is weird. cause all the ones in this area that I have seen have the painted matching rocker panels that are not 2006's. Then all the 2006's have the black plastic ones. Even the new 2006 book for the Liberty shows all of them with these black rocker panels on them. So I don't know lol. Same with the chrome side pieces I have yet to see any in my area with the chrome side moldings on the limited that is not a 2006.

Canyonero02

Reaction score
The 2006's have standard ABS and ESP (electronic stability program). They also now have a sensor in the front passenger seat that will trigger a seat belt alarm if the passenger isnt buckled. Thats all I know of. My wife has an 05 and my sister bought an 06. Both identical options except the color.

Chaoscollins

Reaction score
Ya I was right, I just spoke to my buddy works at Chryslar and he said all the 2006 Jeep Liberty's will have the black ABS plastic rocker panel covers instead of the painted ones. I ask him why and he has no idea. He thinks because the painted ones were probably getting scuffed up a lot and the plastic can take more of a beating. He told me to check the jeep site again and look at all the pics. And sure enough yup, all models even the limited have the new black ABS rocker panel covers. Personally I like the look of the old painted ones better that matched the jeep cause it made the lines look better but oh well.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chaoscollins said:
getting scuffed up a lot

I agree with that, mine are not painted and they always scuffed, the only thing I have found that removes the scuffs is Magic Eraser.

Bob

Chaoscollins

Reaction score
You may have a 2005 with black panels on it if it isen't a limited. I am talking about the limited editions only.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyCRD said:
Mine are black and mine's a 2005. Am I missing something here?

Sometimes things like this get changed mid-year during a production cycle if the new part is basically the same as the old or if there have been QC issues. Probably they were having warranty or customer complaints about this, did a re-design, and made the change when the old parts were gone.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have..

A 2005 Liberty Limited.. Chrome side's and Chrome wheels.. black rocker panel plastics.. not painted.. My jeep is silver!

Latest posts

Members online