A few minor mechanical problems..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
Greetings folks, noob here.. just joined the forum, and I should probly search for the answers but I like direct input from the community-

That being said- I seem to have a few problems with the Jeep.

I notice after wheeling for a while, it likes to get stuck in 4HI.. and the only remedy I've found so far is to either put it down into 2wd while im rolling forward very slowly in neutral, and then put it into reverse and give the tires a bit of a spin. sometimes that doesn't work. One day of wheeling, I didnt even realize it wasn't out of 4wd (lever in 2, but the T-case still in 4) and I crawled up off the trail onto the road, started to accelerate, and I heard and felt this hideous bang.. so something tells me that was it lurching out of 4wd to 2wd. But 4wd still works, so nothin broke I assume.

I was out wheeling the other day, and after a couple donuts in 2wd on top of a soft sand / dirt mixture, I put it into 4HI and start to explore some other places I haven't been to yet, I crawled over a rather large incline and I started to hear this really loud metal to metal griding sound.. and it sounded like it was either coming from the front drive shaft, or the transfer case itself.. It got so bad at one point that while idling forward in 2wd, it would actually slow and stop the Jeep.. but it quit as soon as I got on the road and got to about 35 MPH, and I haven't heard anything since then.. I haven't wheeled since then out of fear of snapping something apart lol..

I think what I need to do is check the transfer case fluid..

problem #2 ---

Every bump I hit results in a deep clunking sound, almost like my tie rod ends are shot, or something is making contact with something it shouldn't behind the front wheels. I'm gonna wadger it's the tie rods or ball joints. I've also read somewhere that the a-arms actually make contact with the spring.. is that the case with a stock liberty, or only a lifted one.. ?

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe on a stock liberty that I have heard anything about the a-arms contacting the springs... also, I'm guessing your front strut could be shot...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The bushings on the clevis mount on the lower control arms on ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ are toast. They go "kerPLUNK" over speedbumps and in parking lots of off road parks, but don't really make any noise otherwise.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I cleaned mine underneath, and spray painted the lower arms black, and any other parts that are visible just looking at it. The lower "A" arms sit nice and low, so I plan to put some lights on them. They have the kind you can stick on, with the turbines that the wind powers the LEDs. That, or just put some of THE smallest FOGs I can find, and band-clamp them to the lower arms. Just something different... I fitted it already with some older fogs I have, but they are just at the "Looks stupid" size, so need to go smaller. Maybe some white LED bars...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I cleaned mine underneath, and spray painted the lower arms black, and any other parts that are visible just looking at it. The lower "A" arms sit nice and low, so I plan to put some lights on them. They have the kind you can stick on, with the turbines that the wind powers the LEDs. That, or just put some of THE smallest FOGs I can find, and band-clamp them to the lower arms. Just something different... I fitted it already with some older fogs I have, but they are just at the "Looks stupid" size, so need to go smaller. Maybe some white LED bars...

I have to see pictures of this now:eek:lol3.gif