A/C Recirculate mode lets outside air in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and I have noticed that when I leave the A/C on recirculate, that outside air, especially exhaust and bad smells from other vehicles and the environment enter into the air vents somehow.

So my solution has been to switch it to outside air and then let it run a while and then switch back to recirculate where it then is okay again.

I'm not sure what is causing this and/or how it can be fixed.

It is my understanding that this is a vacuum system and that there may be a leak in one of the lines or something.

The Jeep dealership wants $95 towards a diagnostic check for the repairs (if any). I think it's a little ridiculous, but would appreciate any tips from the experts here.

Thanks,

Chris

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and I have noticed that when I leave the A/C on recirculate, that outside air, especially exhaust and bad smells from other vehicles and the environment enter into the air vents somehow.

So my solution has been to switch it to outside air and then let it run a while and then switch back to recirculate where it then is okay again.

I'm not sure what is causing this and/or how it can be fixed.

It is my understanding that this is a vacuum system and that there may be a leak in one of the lines or something.

The Jeep dealership wants $95 towards a diagnostic check for the repairs (if any). I think it's a little ridiculous, but would appreciate any tips from the experts here.

Thanks,

Chris

The vents use a combination of an electric Blend Door and vacuum.

Check the small vacuum pipe that comes off the inlet manifold into the dash is not cracked and leaking.

Otherwise you need to check the Blend Door/vent operation as in the Service Manual.

You can download the 2003 KJ Service manual here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Something that is not mentioned in the Device Manual...or at least I cannot find it....is something that I saw posted on this forum I think.

If you at the firewall from inside the cabin behind where the glove box is located, there is a metal grid that acts as a filter for the re-circulate function.

This grid can get clogged up with debris so the re-circulate does not work properly so you need to brush the gunk off this grid....worth looking at first I think.

Do a search here on this forum for Recirculate......several good tips there.

Last edited:

briando

Reaction score
thats fine, but my jeep still runs alot better when its recycling the air from inside instead of tyring to cool the awful hot air from outside.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats fine, but my jeep still runs alot better when its recycling the air from inside instead of tyring to cool the awful hot air from outside.

Ummm...Read through the posts before creating a reply. Of course the original poster wants recirculated air - that's the point of his question! :Frustrated:

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vents use a combination of an electric Blend Door and vacuum.

Check the small vacuum pipe that comes off the inlet manifold into the dash is not cracked and leaking.

Otherwise you need to check the Blend Door/vent operation as in the Service Manual.

You can download the 2003 KJ Service manual here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Something that is not mentioned in the Device Manual...or at least I cannot find it....is something that I saw posted on this forum I think.

If you at the firewall from inside the cabin behind where the glove box is located, there is a metal grid that acts as a filter for the re-circulate function.

This grid can get clogged up with debris so the re-circulate does not work properly so you need to brush the gunk off this grid....worth looking at first I think.

Do a search here on this forum for Recirculate......several good tips there.

I opened up behind the glove box and saw the grid. It was filled with tons of debris (mainly lint and dust particles). I sucked it out with a vacuum cleaner and wiped it down with a moist paper towel.

I already noticed a difference in the power of the recirculation of the air flow. I shall see how it works tomorrow when I'm out in the city and know for sure whether or not outside fumes continue to come in or not.

Thanks for the tip! :)

-Chris