A/C problem Solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve solved my air conditioning problem. So here is what caused it. The previous owner had a serpentine belt break. Unknown to the owner it caused damage to the electric fan. My Liberty has the tow package with the HD cooling thermostatic viscous fan plus the electric fan. So the belt had taken the wiring harness to the electric fan with it when it broke disabling that fan. The owner then had no way to see this additional damage. I took my Jeep to an ASE certified shop to get some work done (recommend maintenance) and asked them to look at the A/C. They found the broken wires and quoted me 926.00 parts and labor to fix it. I declined. Brought it home and inspected it myself, saw what was needed and the off to pull a part. Of course they had exactly 0 kk liberties. I found what I needed on a 2009 Grand Cherokee. Happily paid 6 bucks for the 2 1/2 foot section of harness I needed went home and installed it. Works great now total cost 35 bucks and 2 hours of my time. Apparently if your Libby has the HD cooling it does not turn on the check engine light when the electric fan fails.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt my "salvage" 2006 Liberty with parts from a local PAP (pull-a-part)...
We have a bunch of them (Libertys) here...
I had to replace the HVAC vacuum servos in the dash and that was a job... Lots of labor as the dash must come out... Learned on the "donor" car...
Dave

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love Pull-a-Part. The shops quote was so high because he was ordering from the Jeep dealer. He didn’t offer a quote using aftermarket parts, nor did he test the existing parts. Had it been 300-400 I probably would have said go ahead and fix it. He did a good job on the other stuff, only complaint was they used yellow coolant after flushing and cleaning the system instead of Hoat coolant. I’ll run it for awhile and then change it back.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I love Pull-a-Part. The shops quote was so high because he was ordering from the Jeep dealer. He didn’t offer a quote using aftermarket parts, nor did he test the existing parts. Had it been 300-400 I probably would have said go ahead and fix it. He did a good job on the other stuff, only complaint was they used yellow coolant after flushing and cleaning the system instead of Hoat coolant. I’ll run it for awhile and then change it back.

DO NOT RUN IT FOR A WHILE, change it out this very minute before issues arise

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question is what was the coolant type they used in yours? What was the "yellow" coolant? HOAT is usually colored amber to orange depending on the brand. I think the Mopar stuff is more orange and Zerex G-05 is yellow. They are both the same coolant chemistry. The colors are really just a preference of the manufacturer. I think Ford has a HOAT coolant that is blue, but not the same as the blue coolant used in Subarus.

Anyway, If they used the "universal" green or an OAT type long life coolant then they can react due to the different chemical components and gel up in your cooling system.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10/4 I will call tomorrow and ask them exactly what it was. I did specify factory recommended coolant. I was displeased it was not the amber/orange type and they said it was “compatible”. I had it flushed because A. It was probably due at 104k and B. The dealer I bought it at had mixed green universal into it when I commented it was below the fill line before I could stop them. I didn’t know HOAT came in a yellow pee flavor. So maybe they did listen to me. I also ordered some new shocks and struts today. I’m going to install them myself. Bought Gabriel quick struts for now. Going to go with the OME once they are gone. I can see a lot of smh going on, lol, but right now anything is better than riding one inch off of the front bump stop. I’ll let y’all know how they ride since there are probably some of us out there that would like a cheap get me by for now fix. I don’t mind testing stuff. Total cost on those babies was 214.36 from Amazon.