A bit of wheel education please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birddog2!

Reaction score
In the process of installing
OME 2927 Springs
OME 2731 Springs
Bilstein 24-185660
Bilstein 24139168 on my 2010 KK

Looking at wheels
Specifically Rough Country Daytona Steel Wheel Black (16x8 / 5x4.5 / 5x114.3) - RC52-6866
Mainly Because I like the look/style and the PRICE.

Aside from the weight downside @34lbs (I get it)
Im trying to get an understanding of the negative effects the 4.25" BS / -6 offset will have on the components etc ...
Premature wear and how far out tires will actually sit.

Am I correct in thinking the closer offset is to zero the better?
and if so how bad is it in reality at a -6 offset?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

WheelNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the website I use to get info on what a vehicle's stock wheel fitment is: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jeep/liberty/2008/
To compare tires and wheels I use this site: https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
The KK uses a wheel with a ET40 offset (meaning that the wheel hub mounting face is 40mm outboard from the center plane of the wheel). The center plane of a ET-6 wheel will sit 46mm farther outboard than an ET40 wheel. Since your new wheels are 8" wide rather than the stock 7" you will need to add 12.7mm on each side for the additional width: The new wheels will protrude 49mm farther outboard than stock current wheels. If you are changing tire size also consider that.
One more concept to take note of is that as offset grows the longitudinal displacement of the tire as it is steered through its range of lock increases- which is to say the you will rub your inner fender liner more with a wheel that has a lower ET value.
Check out this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It has a great explanation of wheel/tire fit and how that interacts with the vehicle. He uses a Toyota, but the same principles apply.
As far as wheel bearing life and such goes. I don't know. If you drive a lot of miles then maybe it's a worry, but if this isn't your daily driver then you're probably good?

Last edited:

birddog2!

Reaction score
Wow What a great reply
Thanks for taking the time Wheelnut. Clear explanation and good video.

Not a daily - more a ranch and fun truck to haul the dogs through the washes on the property.
Im probably overthinking the component life but thats what happens waiting on parts and the internet - In my 20s I wouldn't have thought twice about it ..

Bought the wheels and a set of 245/75/16 Falken AT3s
So we will see how it turns out once the springs come back.

Thanks again for the time and knowledge.