'87 Mustang Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the summer nationals coming, we decideed we want to burn out a Mustang. We originally wanted to build this thing to go fast but now with the nationals coming, we added the psychotic thought of getting it done in two weeks into the mix.

We started with the first Mustang my friend Nate built a LONG time ago. It's a '93 body with an '84 motor. The floor pans have holes so the choice was just to buy a new body.

We bought this:
You must be registered for see images

(Yes that's a GM badge on the door. Don't ask)

It's got the suspension we wanted, runs posi, has a locker, and the engine bay is white (we plan to paint the car Lexus white at some point)

The first night we slowly moved some dash/firewall area items over. We started removing the harness and a bunch of various wiring from the old Mustang too.

The other good thing about the new one is that it's already set up for a fuel cell. Which is good because of this:

On the second night, I got to paint a lot of stuff while the guys worked on moving more wires over. I Painted the pedal assembly, brake booster, valve covers, alternator bracket, water pump, wiper motor, and steering gear gloss black. I must say I'm not a bad painter.

The gloss black is gonna look sexy against the white!

Oh yeah and this is what's going in this pig:

I'll keep you guys updated as we get more done. We have until 4th of July weekend to turn a rolling shell into a complete 87 Mustang with an 84 motor and 93 wiring. It's a mutt but it goes together :D

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a fun project. (cool) That deadline is going to be killer though!

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some updates from the last couple days:

The heater and dash are both in.
You must be registered for see images attach

We thought we were going to need and extender for the steering shaft but turns out if you hold the wheel and give a good tug, the shaft comes out a little more. It gave us a lot more and we were able to connect it. Top pic shows it not connected.

The rear end is now complete. We had to take the C clips out of the other Mustang's dif and put them in the new one. The brake lines are run, brake drums are on, and the dif cover is freshly cleaned :) We realized how dumb we were for this today, however. We're pretty sure this Mustang has 3.73 gears while the other has 4.10s. If we were smart we would have just swapped the whole rear end from the other one but, oh well. Not that big a deal. It won't go 5 gears in the burn outs but it will still be a beast.

The motor mounts also got delivered from Jegs today so the motor was dropped in. It's not IN in but it's in the engine bay :)

We are way ahead of schedule at this point. Pretty much all that is left is the ******, intake crap, a little bit of wiring, interior, and moving the fuel cell (and then finding race fuel O_O). We'll be roughly 90% done by next Monday for sure which is wicked mint! The old Mustang ran 11.3's so we'll see what this beast will do.

Still gotta get a ****** crossmember so we may head to Mustangs Unlimited in Manchester, CT either tomorrow or Saturday.

We're getting a bit nervous though. Everything has gone right thus far and we're already this deep into it...knock on wood.

EDIT: OH! Forgot to add for all inquiring minds - the battery will be in the trunk.

Last edited: