5k road trip ahead... will she blow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! so I was talking with my father about a road trip im taking this winter thats a little over 5100 miles and he was saying I shouldnt go because of my KJ..."BUT ITS A JEEP" I said! my truck is an 02 limited with 168k, I just did an oil change but i know there is TONS more to do before I proceed with my trip. I know there is a similar thread about this but I feel like like It didnt provide all the information I wanted to know. my main question is .... is my dad right? will the ol girl make it?? and what precautions should I take to prove my dad wrong!?:help:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What maintenance have you done lately?

Things to inspect:
CVs, check all boots for tears
Jack up each of the front wheels via LCA. Hold wheel at 12 and 6, and then at 3 and 9, check for play.
Radiator for cracks
Transfluid color/condition

Things to replace if you can't remember last time they were done:
All fluids
Radiator hoses
Belt and belt tensioner
Spark plugs
Clean throttle body

Plus anything else that you suspect...time to look into noises you've put off lol!

Mine's at a similar mileage and I'd trust it.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i did my plugs about 4 months ago(bought the truck sept 2016) trans fluid appears to be new but ill drop the pan and change that. i put a new oem radiator in november, as well as radiator hoses. fresh rear diff oil in Nov too. i havent cleaned the TB but i will, the truck has all new drive shafts for some reason(sticker looks brand new lol)... this might be a stupid thing to ask but could someone try to explain what the CV's are?? my wheels have got a little less than 1/8" of play maybe over 1/16". funny you mention wierd noises, after being parked i put my wheels in full lock to the left and after idleing away about 1 full tire rotation i hear a LOUD pop and nothing more the rest of the day.. ive never figured out what this was, and ideas?? if i go faster its louder.

EDIT: im stupid, both CV's are brand new with the new drive shaft.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The CV axles run from the diff to the wheel ups up front. Check the boots for tears. Then there's two CV joints on the front driveshaft.

That play isn't good...and when does it pop? While rolling? Or while steering?

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i knew that play was bad crap..an ideas what that means? the pop occurs only while rolling in a full lock left hand turn.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it does it while you're steering, could be a ball joint. But if it does it while you hold the wheel steady, maybe a CV axle going bad. That wouldn't cause the play though.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks for the insight! this helped clear up some stuff for sure, and is giving me a little more confidence in my journey! it may very well be the ball joint my has seen some better days, ill replace that and if the problem persists than idk..
THANKS AGAIN!!

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my KJ last January and took it on a short 1k road trip in August and my engine almost blew because my thermostat went bad
Obviously causing the engine to almost overheat until I blasted the hot air and pulled over at a rest area
Definitely change coolant/thermostat if you haven't done so (you said you changed radiator but no mention of using HOAT or changing therm.) and also all other fluids/parts listed above
You don't want to be driving with regular, cheap coolant with these engines!

Other than that you should be OK

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might want to add engine air filter as well to HJ's list.

If you're dropping the ****** pan, you should change the filters.
Since it's an 02, it'll have the 45RFE w/ two filters.

If there's play, it could be the outter tie rod end. observe the tie rod end when trying to rotate tire at the 3-9 position or around the vertical axis.

Best to get a professional to do an inspection for you.

Another fluid that wasn't mentioned was the TF case.

I'd also check to make sure all cooling fans are working.

i guess if out of time, make sure you have road assistance for towing.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definetly be replacing the thermostat, thank you! and your right about both filters being changed but i cant seem to find a vendor online that sells two, are both filters the same? or does each one have its own bolt pattern. ive got fresh coolant in there, i think its g05 or something like that, im not sure if thats cheap or not. im to sure what an HOAT is? i actually just put in a new air filter, a couple weeks ago so ill check that off the list. i wil for sure have a pro do the inspection for me, i actually plan to do everything i can from what you guys are telling me and then still take her in to see what a trusted mechanic has to say about all that play and whatever else i find as an issue while tearing into the truck.... what TF fluid should i use? and yes sir my electric fan is functional! AAA is on my side for this one for sure!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
G05 is the right stuff. I think there's a sticky here about the filters. Trans and transfer case fluid is ATF+4, any brand will work, it's all the same.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definetly be replacing the thermostat, thank you! and your right about both filters being changed but i cant seem to find a vendor online that sells two, are both filters the same? or does each one have its own bolt pattern. ive got fresh coolant in there, i think its g05 or something like that, im not sure if thats cheap or not. im to sure what an HOAT is? i actually just put in a new air filter, a couple weeks ago so ill check that off the list. i wil for sure have a pro do the inspection for me, i actually plan to do everything i can from what you guys are telling me and then still take her in to see what a trusted mechanic has to say about all that play and whatever else i find as an issue while tearing into the truck.... what TF fluid should i use? and yes sir my electric fan is functional! AAA is on my side for this one for sure!

both filters are not the same. One is a spin on and the other is a sump filter.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=45rfe+filter+kit

The senior forum members will recommend going mopar.

tf case uses the same ATF+4. the same as the ****** and P/S. The cheapest would be supertech at walmart unless you have some sort of discount w/ your LAP. P/S fluid in early years could have been P/S fluid and not ATF+4 so you'll want to check before dumping ATF+4 in the reservoir.

undo the tf fill plug before the drain plug. notorious for being stuck and the recessed hex plug easily stripped.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think the only thing I did for my 3000 mile road trip (I did it twice) was make sure my tail lights were working, changed the oil, and sealed up the radiator.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the most important thing about such long trips (assuming there are no major issues to begin with), is to just regularly check the basic stuff during the trip.
Every morning before you start driving, pop the hood and check the oil, see if there are any visible leaks of any kind, etc.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the most important thing about such long trips (assuming there are no major issues to begin with), is to just regularly check the basic stuff during the trip.
Every morning before you start driving, pop the hood and check the oil, see if there are any visible leaks of any kind, etc.

Going to say every fill up check the oil. Mine ended up being low after about 500 miles or so due to a leaking valve cover gasket.