4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, first, let me start by saying that I know the general mentality is to "sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd". However, I bought the 2wd from someone I know and got a really good deal on it cause it needed some work (new battery, wiper blades, dreaded rear window regulators, oil leak, etc). Most of the issues have been fixed so far, except for a coolant leak that I plan to have fixed pretty soon. Even with the money on the repairs, I still am quite a bit under cost on a similar Liberty in this area that didn't require immediate attention (all used cars tend to need something at some point).

I also have a few interior/exterior bits I need to get the Liberty in tip top shape cosmetically. In my search for these bits, I may have located a good donor vehicle that has most of the interior/exterior parts that are needed. It is also a 4wd Liberty where as mine is a 2wd. This got my gears turning about the idea of swapping the 4 wheel stuff into my 2 wheel Liberty. If I'm getting a good deal on the whole Jeep, why not go ahead and use the 4 wheel stuff?

I have been doing a little reading already and, as mentioned, I know the mentality tends to be to sell and buy a 4wd. Putting that mentality aside, what all is required to make the swap? I figure I still have less invested in my Jeep than what it would take to buy a new one, so I'm money ahead. Plus if I'm buying the donor vehicle already for other items, and i have access to everything to swap over to 4wd, why not just make mine 4wd?

Again, most people just say buy 4wd from my search, but what I have gathered so far seems to consist of:
4wd ******
Rear driveshaft
Front driveshaft
Front CV axles
Transfer case
4wd selector lever (boot, cable, etc)

I have also seen mentioned, but not necessarily confirmed they are needed:
Cradle/cross member
Transmission computer
Wiring (I believe for the 4wd cluster light?)

I would love to compile a complete list of everything to convert the current Liberty over to 4wd. From what I gather so far, there is no cutting or welding or similar required so it sounds to be a fairly straight forward swap comparatively to some. I figure if I have a donor in front of me it will make it even easier trying to collect all of the parts to do the conversion without having to worry about running all over trying to find them or having to order them.

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2wd Libby and at first after moving from Florida to Pa about 3 years ago I was in the mindset to sell mine and buy a 4wd.
The first winter was horrible and I was getting stuck in a 3" snowfall. I had stock Wrangler tires and they were half worn. That summer I bought a new set of tires and a pair of Hankook studded snow tires. Boy what a difference.
Now 2 winters behind us I still swap tires in the winter for those studs!
I will admit that I do not got beyond the dirt roads but boy do those studs make a world of difference. I do turn off the traction control to stop the engine RPM's from dropping.
Last year we had that storm that dumped 38" on us and I waited till the State Plows came by our house before venturing out but never had a problem.
If I knew I was moving back to the N.E.Pa. I would have bought a 4wd Libby but I am satisfied with what I have.
Good luck with your conversion.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a 4wd transmission, just the adapter that goes from the transmission to the transfer case. No computer swap, its an all mechanical job.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap in good parts from 2wd to 4wd donor vehicle.

4wd swap complete.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Good point, but the 4wd was hit in the rear. Not terrible, but enough that it would take some really good body work to get it all straightened back out. At this point the 2wd shell is a lot better off, in which case it makes more sense to swap the 4wd into the 2 wheel shell.

Good to know about the transmission, or the adapter at least. I'm undecided about pulling the motor and ****** just to have a spare laying around, figure it never can hurt. I do know my ****** is (currently) good, so it's nice to know I can just switch the adapter over to my ****** and stick with it since I know more about it's history/condition.

My 2wd has never let me down yet, but i figure 4wd can only be better. I'm also mindful that I have a 2wd and don't push any boundaries in it. I'm about to be buying new tires for it soon, so I'm sure that will be a huge improvement over it's current setup with well worn out tires. It would be nice to have something a little more capable so I can start doing a little offroading and worry a little less when my girlfriend drives the Jeep in inclement weather.

Anything else I need to add to the list?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swap in good parts from 2wd to 4wd donor vehicle....

4wd swap complete.

^^this. And get a price on the body work and then you can also compare that option to converting your 2wd to 4wd.

There is also the time and place and tools to do the work and inconvenience of being without your Jeep so you will need another vehicle in the meantime.....(cost of all that?)

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.