4wd to 2wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is about as backward of a thought as you get around here but hear me out. Found an 06 kj here locally just like the one that I have now for cheap. Its a little battered and bruised but still runs great. It needs CV shafts in the front and the front diff is cracked. The guy is only asking $1,000 for it so its tough to pass up. If I pick it up I'll keep my lifted 06 for bad weather and just use the cheapie for back and forth driving for work. Now rather than spend the cash to rebuild the front end is there and way possible I could pull the CV shafts out, swap the 4wd wheel bearing hubs for 2wd ones and snatch the front drive shaft out to use as a spare for the kj I currently have and just turn the beater into a 2wd?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the bearings are the same for 2wd and 4wd.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just pull the CV joints and the front driveshaft and you'll be good to go. Bearings/hubs are identical.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like mentioned you can pull out the CVs, even the front diff , ( easy to do ) remove the front driveshaft and go like the wind LOL
And yes bearings are all the same ( except between ABS etc )

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with what the others said, I would just drain all of the fluid out if it hasn't drained out of the crack in the housing. If you want to spare any parts of the dif, I would figure out how to clog up the holes and the crack so dirt doesn't get in...but sounds to me like to me like that's not important.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to bad. Pretty much would be a simple disassembly and removal of parts. While its apart I may as well replace the front strut assemblies and be good to go. I would just have a 2wd with 2 wheel low option lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to bad. Pretty much would be a simple disassembly and removal of parts. While its apart I may as well replace the front strut assemblies and be good to go. I would just have a 2wd with 2 wheel low option lol

If you were a little closer I have new Sensatrac complete front assemblies that have never been installed , plus new rear springs and Sensatrac rear shocks ( well they have maybe 2000 miles) . Took them in on trade when doing a full OME lift
( That is if you are just going stock )
Depending on where you are in Indiana :icon_razz:

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up the liberty. Found out that the radiator has a slight leak so I talked him down to $800. Can't beat that for a cheap dd

Latest posts

Members online