45RFE clunks from a stop sometimes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes it kinda of catches when pulling away form a stop, not always, and it does not make an audible noise, but you can feel it in the seat/pedals...
maybe driveshaft joints?

sometimes you can feel it when slowing down to a stop also, but not all the time.

any ideas?
thanks

any easy ways to firm up the 1-2 shift? it is a little slow/soft...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles since a ****** flush/filter/fill? Could be the ****** needs refreshed in order to operate smoothly.

Any CEL codes?

Bob

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not been able to check the driveshafts yet, shift solenoids were just replaced in the trans by the PO, not sure of the quality of fluid and filter used, i plan on draining what is in there and getting ATF4 and new wix filters from napa

maybe that will do the trick

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, how many quarts for a drop the pan and filter change?
RTV on the pan gasket or not?

was looking at the wix 58843 kit, looks like it includes the gasket, and both filters.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the best things you can do for the 45/545RFE is a line booster. You can purchase one from Sonnax (plug-n-play) or make your own with a resistor. Also torque management is a big thing with these transmissions, depending on how much is programmed into yours, it drops engine power right before each shift (mushyness). On Rams there are ways around this, but I don't think you can do anything about on a KJ. On the 2003 Rams (only) you can pull the TM wire to disable it. Later years you have to program it out.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any info on doing the line booster modification specifically to libertys?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen the kit for sale, and found a write up on a dodge forum to make your own harness.
http://www.ramforum.com/f76/diy-******-line-pressure-booster-192/

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2002 KJ was doing the same sort of thing. When you pull away from a stop, or sometimes just after you come to a stop, there would be a "clunk" which felt like it was in the drive line somewhere.

Well, I think I figured it out after I received my build sheet from Chrysler and saw that I have the limited slip rear axle. I did some research into limited slip additive and the reasons you need it. Turns out one of the symptoms of not having the additive is this clunking when stopping or starting!!!

So I bought some additive and put it in. I knew there was no additive because I had just changed the rear diff gear-oil. Had the same symptom before so I assume there was no additive before either (I just bought this Jeep). Amazingly enough, the clunk has gone away after a couple days of driving around town (maybe 30 miles total).

The explanation for this is that the clutches in the limited slip rear end may be slow to release without the additive. When they do release, there is a clunk felt in the drive line. Kinda makes sense, and that's what I read on the internet, which we know is always right.

Of course, if you don't have a limited slip, then this isn't your problem. My limited slip didn't have a tag anywhere on it, so I didn't realize it had one until I got the build sheet. It does behave like one, so I had my suspicions.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah ha!
i do have a limited slip rear diff...
it doesnt look like it has been opened recently though, but i bet the additive has either become uneffective, or it was changed and not added...

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I used ACDelco limited slip additive because that's all the store had.

It seems to have worked. I don't know if Mopar is better, worse, or the same.

The bottle was about 100ml (4oz ?) and I dumped the whole thing in.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i changed the oil, it was in great shape, but no idea if it had the additive, used mopar brand additive, still does it. seems to do it more when hot rather then when cold, so if i have been driving for a half hour or so it will start to do it...

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just revisiting this topic to see if there is any more info out there...

the rear diff fluid didnt make a difference...
it seems like after i have driven the vehicle for a longer time, such as on the freeway, that it will do it more often than not. and more loudly as well.

i am going to try manually putting it in first gear...i was wondering if it could be trying to start out in second and then suddenly shifting to 1st?

i will also inspect u joints. does the 231 in the liberty have a slip yoke, like on XJs?

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing this, until I put limited-slip additive in the rear differential.

The clunking was the clutches releasing, I guess. It took a while for the clunk to go away. It just slowly got better and better after I put in the additive. Now it never clunks. That was the only thing I changed.

Wouldn't hurt to try, unless you know for sure that you already have additive in there (and if you have a limited-slip rear end at all).

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do have a LS rear axle (see your above posts and mine) :) i put in mopar LS additive. no change...